Friday, June 1, 2012

Apartment Season

It's June! And it's my apartment season! And yes, I am moving again! And yep... it's even more painful than it sounds.

If you ever wondered why New Yorkers freak out about finding a suitable apartment, I'm here to tell you why. First of all, the rule of NY thumb is that 50% of your net income goes to rent. So when you're laying out that much, you want to get your money's worth. Nothing in New York (for us reasonable middle classes) is going to get you everything, so you have to start deciding what's more important to you... being close to the subway? Having laundry in the building? Short commute to work? You get the idea. And because rarely can people afford to live alone (how did I ever get a studio that first year?) the next challenge is finding decent roommates and environment. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not. I have actually compiled some of my favorite lines from apartment or rooms ads from REAL ADS from craigslist. And these aren't needle-in-the-haystack crazy "where did that one come from" ads... these are almost NORMAL:

-No windows, but there is a small window above room door

-I am looking to find a reliable, clean, quiet and trustworthy person to rent an area of my furnished living room on a temporary, short term basis. There is a nice couch, I will supply sheets and pillows. There is privacy as I have dividers that separate the room from the other rooms. You will have access to a bathroom and the kitchen

-Do not bring anything that won't fit in your room. No over night guests ever, no guests at all without asking us first

-I would stay in the bedroom and you would take the living room (queen sofa sleeper or aero bed) with window closet and other closet space

-The room is LIMITED TO 4 NIGHTS MAXIMUM PER WEEK. Any 4, together, or separated, but just 4. Example: You are a commuter who lives outside of the city, but works in the city Monday through Friday. You stay in the room on nights Monday through Thursday, and return home on Friday

-I like my space and my privacy. I use the living room as an office so there isn't any "hanging out"

All this to say that last night I went to look at a room out in Queens (yes! I am getting over my fear of outer boroughs!) and brought Ronnie with me. As Ronnie said "it's a good thing they're meeting me now, since we're like a package deal anyway." It was actually a GREAT space and very promising, but they're interviewing a lot of people so the ball is very much in their court, so we'll see what happens. I'm going to see another place tomorrow, in Union Square. Apples and oranges. I'll be stressing and packing and absolutely poor by the end of this month, but here I go.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I am waiting to get another one of your
    special "I've moved" change of address cards....they are soooo cuuute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAha! A silver lining in the draining process...

      Delete