Monday, June 11, 2012

The Staten Island Half

If you're feeling a chilly breeze blowing up from below, don't worry, it's just the frigid air in hell making it's way up because it's frozen over. It just happened this morning when I signed up to run a half marathon set for October of this year!

It's finally my time to be active. I hated the gym and I hated running. I preferred to be active through volleyball, or dance classes or dance clubs. I'm not picky. But I hate running blindly.

When I discovered I had access to Columbia's gym, I figured a productive way to spend a lunch break would be there. I only wanted to work on my flexibility in-between my modern dance class and until I returned to ballet, but slowly I found myself on the elliptical. HATING it, but on it nevertheless. The weirdest things started happening... I started to LIKE being on the elliptical. I started to see how long I could go. I started looking FORWARD to it. I know, it's nothing short of witchcraft. But, my coworker and I started going to the gym together, and she is a huge runner, and long story short, she got me in on a half marathon!

It's always been a weird Bucket List of mine, to run a marathon, mainly because I HATE running and it seems so NOT organically me, that's what makes it so much more of an accomplishment. And honestly, a half-marathon is even satisfying enough to me, for now.

Today I ran 22 minutes without so much as batting an eye. If I get up to 30 minutes by next week, then I begin the 10 week training schedule given to me by said coworker, and come October 7, I will be running in the Staten Island Half Marathon! Who the hell am I becoming?

My only real goal is to not be in last place.

No comments:

Post a Comment