Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Philly Cheesefriends

When I was first moving to New York City, there was a lot of excitement in the idea of exploring the uncharted territory of the East Coast alone. I didn't know a single soul in the city, but I knew names of coworkers in the corporate office where I was coming to work. I was not dissatisfied with this. On the contrary, I liked it this way.

When some friends started moving to the city or East Coast, I started wondering if my life was going to turn into exactly the same thing it was before, as though I might never meet new people or get involved with new things. And now? Now my friends from home are like a treasured beanie baby collection, and not only can I not imagine them not being out here, I also wonder if I still would have moved here in the assumption that I wouldn't have anyone from my previous life here, if I were to do it all again.

Aside from UCSB'ers Ronnie and Betsy, I now also have my San Diego-era Palak and Sri out here in Baltimore and Philadelphia, respectively. Sri just moved to Philadelphia two weekends ago for business school, and so Pal and I went to Philly last weekend to welcome him to our stomping grounds. While the weekend was filled with lots of fun and laughter and inside jokes, it was also so relaxing and comfortable, so easy to just be, and so familiar and comforting to get ready slowly in the mornings with Matt Nathanson radio playing on Pandora and all climbing on the bed together for a power nap before Chipotle (small Philadelphia local eatery, you've probably never heard of it) and bar hopping in the city. Now that I have them so accessible, I wonder how I could ever survive without them nearby for support and close enough for respite from a life in the big, bustling, ever-changing NYC.

This was Sri's view from his 16th floor apartment in the heart of the city center


Day 1 around Philly, here at Independence Hall. I am holding a bag of Kiehl's facewash that I bought because I got excited when we passed the store. I had to carry it around just about all day and it was a source of a joke for the rest of the weekend. The point is that they may laugh, but I will have a beautifully clear face from this point onward in life


In the elevator on our way down to a night on the town


Sri and Palak ascending the Rocky steps


Me and Palak at the top of the Rocky steps


In other news, it actually took me until yesterday to realize I could watch the Olympics live online. (To think of all the events I've missed!) I've adjusted computer browsers to leave an open view of my little TV in the right hand corner all day. I've watched Russia beat Lithuania in men's basketball, saw Argentina lose to Brazil in men's volleyball, and now getting sad as Italy is about to win the men's volleyball quarterfinals against the USA. I just can't get enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment