Thursday, August 2, 2012

On The Third Day

...I rested. My intensity is being upped which means the volume is being lowered. I said goodbye the treadmill after running on the streets on Sunday and seeing how much work I had to do, and have taken to the track on lunch breaks. I am running without stopping at a respectable even pace for about 12 minutes, then will walk for about 4, and take up the pace again without breaking for another 10. That's what I did on Tuesday and Wednesday anyway. Now I have to break today to recover. The floor gives me new pains everyday... knees, hips, shins. It's all just me being pathetic because unless I'm leaping or turning, I can't seem to control my force and weight on my joints (thanks for nothing, ballet?) so I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'm kinda starting to freak a little, but I remind myself that a dropping waist is a victory, too. In a competition against myself, I'm a winner either way.

My old hatred and aversion to running has been seeping back in slowly, and for the first time in a long time, yesterday running the track I found myself thinking about how much I just hated it and how stupid it was (everything is stupid when you hate it), which was weird because for the past few months I've been surprised at how openly I've welcomed running and even looked forward to it. Buuuuut the right playlist can change almost anything. In these very recent weeks, I absolutely could not have done anything, even open my eyes in the morning, without the following songs:

Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Human Touch - Bruce Springsteen
Titanium - David Guetta
The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
Sprawl II - Arcade Fire

As a matter of fact I may have done 2/3 of my workout yesterday with Bruce Springsteen on repeat. The moral of the story is that you shouldn't listen to music while you work out. You should work out while you listen to music.

From the streets and the shores of Fort Lauderdale:







And a view along the Keys



I was ashamed at how excited I was by all the palms on vacation. As though I didn't spend 95% of my life surrounded by them in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment