Monday, May 21, 2012

My Updates To Art Garfunkel

Flushing will always hold a special place in my heart, everytime I go out there it's so familiar and cute, and I always look forward to the dirt cheap Chinese drink shops (mmm Taro bubble tea) bakeries (red bean pastries are my faaaavorite) and dumpling houses (15 for $3!), and I was out there again on Saturday... and ate at Applebee's. Lolololol. Even in this economy Flushing is still All American! I got to meet Baby Olivia for the first time! Turns out they really don't do much being a month old, but at least she didn't cry. (And when she did, like once, Joe just said "If there's no tears, it's not real" lulz) and then we went to their place out in Bayside to relax. I saw trees! And heard birds! And could smell soil (not DIRT, that's all you smell in the city) so it was a win-win situation. I have pictures of the baby but don't want to put them up, even though Jenny probably couldn't care less.

Yesterday I ventured a few blocks away to a sunshiney outdoor table of the famed Hungarian Pastry Shop. My reaction was: "Okay." I'll probably go back. But considering how people RAVE about it... I don't get that. Then again, I didn't have a pastry, only a Viennese coffee. And you know I'm a changed woman when the site of the Harry Potter title warms my heart more than the look of that delicious coffee



And today SUCKS. It's downpouring and thundering, and a MONDAY. Rainy days and Mondays, man. My one pick me up was a work email I received. Let me explain. Last week I had to go to a training for editing privileges of our alumni database. Towards the end we would be doing edits on the beta version, and the instructor gave us handouts of profiles to choose to edit, all of famous Columbia alum. Because he wanted us to be able to discuss different scenarios, we all needed to pick different people, and he went around the room asking everyone who they would do. I was to be last. Among Hilary Clinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and others... was Art Garfunkel. I cringed everytime the next person was choosing... until there was only me left. "I CHOOSE ART GARFUNKEL". I wasn't sure whether to be happy for myself or disappointed in my clearly boring coworkers. Then I get an email where the first words to greet me were:

Congratulations Kristin! You did a great job with your updates to Art Garfunkel!

It made me smile for two second until the thunder cracked and I remembered I was at work on an awful rainy Monday. Not even my coffee tastes good.

1 comment:

  1. Anytime and anyplace you see Arty playing in concert, with or without Paul, I will be there! AND, I'll get us front row!
    Truly a voice from the heavens
    Dad

    ReplyDelete