Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Who Knew It Was Two?

I have been such a chicken without a head lately that I've barely noticed that today marks two years that I've been living in New York City now.

Two years should be so short but in a way it feels like the longest two-year stretch in my life. If I'm looking back now it feels like I've merely scraped by. But I'm sure I'll look back on now and think it was a hard time to come out of as well.

Suffice it to say that the rose-tinted glasses have come off. I'm no longer excited at the mere idea of living in New York, it's not a novelty, and there's no newness. Occasionally I get that feeling like I just arrived here and am seeing the Tetris-pieced skyline and monstrous avenues for the first time, and the excitement at being in the thick of the Times Square subway junction at rush hour, but for the most part I just live my life, and I'll tell you the vast majority of us (the "99%" if you will... lolololol) live unglamorized lives... schlepping groceries for four blocks after a ride on the subway, having hour-long detours when your stop is under construction for the weekend, constantly badgered for money by buskers and homeless, fleeing from the scene at the mention of a bedbug in the summertime, fighting for a decent place to live in a decent neighborhood.

And yet... I'm still here, cause I like it, cause there's too much to do and too much to see and never enough time! This summer is when things are really about to get real.

I haven't gotten many pictures from the weekend yet, so here is a small teaser until then:









Tomorrow I have to help with Columbia's graduation. I'm already graduation'ed out. I wonder if I just "happen" to get "mixed up" in the line of graduates if I can walk across the stage and con my way into a graduate degree? I'll let you know the verdict tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment