Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Order of the Phoenix

OH MY SQUIB. Call in Madam Pomfrey and all the Healers at the St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries because I am all torn up inside with these weird feelings and mourning for magical, fictional characters.

I was closing in on the end of The Order of the Phoenix, Book 5, and even got my Tuesday lunchtime reading buddy to hey, read Harry Potter, and oh look I have a bookmark right here, that's a good place to start. I was thinking about it all afternoon. After work I went to my bar and pulled it open over Yuengling, I sat there in poor light and blazed through about 50 pages. I went home and immediately pulled it open and went through another 150 pages to end... crying, mourning, and utterly confused.



I don't know if it was the combination of the raining day, the beer, and the doleful French soundtrack I had been listening to all day, but finishing page 870, I felt complete agony and voided loss at the deaths that had occurred, at the position Harry was in, at the entire sequence of events and the courage and loyalty of all those faithful Gryffindors, ESPECIALLY NEVILLE! I wanted to help them fight! I wanted to be there to join in and hug them and encourage Harry Potter! You look at his life and what he does and you just think, damn that kid has some demons but he is SO EMPOWERING!! I can't decide if I want to help him or be him! How do I find them? What can I do?! I am still on the verge of crying just remembering. And who are these people?! They're ink on a page.

If I stop reading, will I spare myself further death and destruction?? I re-scanned the denouement as Dumbledore goes into lengthy explanations to Harry, and on second glance I thought, wow you could replace Harry with me and Dumbledore with JK Rowling and it's exactly how I feel about this damn book series:

Harry: "I DON'T CARE! I'VE HAD ENOUGH, I'VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE-"

Dumbledore: "You do care... you care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."


I will be wearing black until further notice. Well played, JK Rowling, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment