Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Long Island City Riverfront

Long Island City is a hidden gem in New York. Maybe hidden is the wrong word... it's right there in the open, along the water of the East River just truckin' along, but since it's in Queens... few people dare venture out. I live just inland of this, so I pass it often. I left work at 5 o'clock sharper (which is my new way of saying 4:59) to make it to Trader Joe's before the crowds rolled in (read: because it is always crowded, before I had to wait in line outside to even get in, and no I'm not joking, that happens all the time in NYC) and was home by 6:30. It was still bright, and warm, and perfect, and I love rivers. So I schlepped myself down to Long Island City, in time to see the sunset, which I didn't even plan.

It really can't be overstated how much summertime changes the city. People going to (and staying in) the parks, lounging on rooftop bars, restaurants pulling out the outdoor seating, people on the promenades, sitting in the grass, by the water, or doing yoga (it's a fact, check out the pictures) and the Long Island City piers even have playgrounds, deck chairs, lounge chairs, and HAMMOCKS.









I was so enjoying the night (despite bug bites) and the view and the sound of the water, and taking in LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver and Florence + The Machine's Ceremonials that I decided to walk home from there. It's not exactly a grid, so getting myself, at least to Queensboro Plaza, was quite the trek.

Since I only traverse the towns via the 7 train (which runs above ground, and is helpful), I had to take visual cues from the train ride to decide where to go, which was difficult as I got turned around on the directions of the streets, sides of buildings, etc. I'm proud to say that I made it to Queensboro Plaza unassisted, and from there it was a cakewalk, since I had to walk there from home a few times during the hurricane when the subway system wasn't fully restored.

I also would like to add that I love music. I know that everyone "loves music" but sometimes I really suffer without it. After having really woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, no amount of positive thinking or deep breaths made me feel as good as the right song, or album. Well that, and stand-up... nothing like inappropriate Daniel Tosh jokes to take your mind off of irrational irritability.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these look amazing! I'm sure it will be missed.
    I share your affection for rivers and music. When they go hand-in-hand it can be Nirvana
    daddy

    ReplyDelete