Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer Storms

I love the East Coast, especially for the summer storms. (Someone out here told me: "You can just call them storms," haha!)

This past Sunday really felt like summer in a weird way to me. Friday night I went to have birthday drinks with a friend and then met another friend for dinner and Chicago on Broadway... Saturday was Flushing with Ronnie. We were in a Chinese bakery (the best kinds!) and ooh'ing and aah'ing over all the selection when I looked over and saw that there was a whole other side to it! "It goes on over there!" I pointed to Ronnie and headed straight for it, but the woman coming at me wasn't moving. Then I hit the mirror. That was probably the highlight of the day. Unless you count the cakes in the Chinese bakery??


...and the indoor koi ponds in the Asian venues around the place


After that, I ventured out to Crown Heights, Brooklyn, to visit my friend Pooja, where we got dinner and walked around toward the Prospect Park area. It was a really warm and nice night.

I woke up on Sunday thinking I had to go to work, but I didn't. It was really warm that night, so I slept on top of the covers with the fan going. It was really bright, so I woke up around 7am. It felt like summertimes in middle school when I didn't have any job or responsibility, and it was always just really hot. I liked it. I opened all the windows and put the fan on, laid on my bed, drank coffee and ate ice cream and watched Mad Men until I set myself up in my writing corner and and got to writing. It was dusk and it was a long time since I'd had a focused minute and a little place in the world to feel unstressed to work on something creative, and it was so soothing and nice.


By the time I got into bed, it was still warm and the fan was still going. I opened all the windows because it was storming outside. There was warm rain, thunder, and lots of lightning. I couldn't see bolts, but the sky lit up.



I fell asleep around 1 in the morning to the summer storm outside and thought about how much I love this aspect of the East Coast, among so many other things too...

No comments:

Post a Comment