Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Longlost Friend, Valerie

This weekend turned out okay, considering I had absolutely no hope for it at all whatsoever, with a dismal forecast and no plans.

But, not only did I get to halfway through season 3 of MadMen, but I went out to a student's graduation party in the East Village, went to a rooftop barbecue in the Lower East Side, and had a beautiful picnic in the park on Monday with my friend Pooja.


So that's all fine and good. Last week was also the last week reading with my girl for the school year, and we got to make bookmarks, and I was so proud of mine with the crab and the sand, and in the end she made us exchange bookmarks, so I have hers -____- haha


So on Sunday night when I was leaving the rooftop party, I waltzed into the 2nd Ave F train subway station and overheard a poor bewildered Irish girl asking for directions from the station attendant to Port Authority. Last I checked I speak a fairly unaccented English and I can NEVER understand those station attendants (not always accents, a lot of times it's the bad quality mics and window glass and their completely unmotivated demeanor) but I wanted to tell her just to follow me, but I also didn't want to pressure her to follow some random stranger at 3 in the morning, so I let her get that real American experience and just struggle through it.

Down on the platform, she approached me, still bewildered and needing help to Port Authority, which scared the bejeesus out of her since it included transferring to another train, and she was 3 days in to New York City. Her eyes were red and she stumbled a little, but boy did she talk my ear off after I started helping her, and it's just as well cause I had to concentrate really hard on what she was saying. She was SO NICE though and we rode the train together and as we came to her stop we introduced ourselves before she had to run out onto the platform. I was tempted to run out after her and go get another drink somewhere or just be friends! Poor Valerie, I hope she made it home alive and survives her next months here in New York. Clearly it was a lot for her already. Godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment