Wednesday, May 22, 2013

URGENT: Tom Petty

When I was 16 and driving, I programmed my car's radio stations to a mix of different genres. I will never forget that FM1 #6 was a classic rock station 93.1 at the time, which I found myself listening to a lot. One day, driving around, a song came on that I had never heard before that I thought was awesome. I called my friend Mat, who I thought would know. He didn't pick up, so I opted to leave a voicemail of the song playing and asking him who that was. This was back when you had to sit and wait through all the automated prompts after leaving your message, and when I was instructed to "Press 2 for Urgent Delivery" I thought, yeah this feels pretty urgent. He later called back to tell me it was Breakdown by Tom Petty, and since that time, we always referred to anything Tom Petty was involved in as URGENT.



Well last night a friend of mine had 2 tickets to not only see Tom Petty, but at the Beacon Theatre too! After work we met up at a bar around the corner for drinks and appetizers, and then headed in for some pretty sweet seats on the loge to watch Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers rockkkkk it!






So apparently he's playing like 4-5 nights here, and had played on Monday so he asked the crowd if anyone was here for that show. (Way more people shouted and woo'd than I really believed were there) but he said that was fine because they would be doing some "deeper" songs and a totally different setlist (translation: no hits) haha. It was a grrrrrreat show, and I thought Tom looked fragile but my friend Kevin said he's always been fragile. It was so fun, and he still played plenty of crowd pleasers (sadly, no Breakdown) but it was fun.

Kevin drove me back to Queens (what a treat!) and it was a beautiful warm summer night and we had the windows down and sunroof open and we listened to Tom Petty as we crossed over the Queensborough bridge, the Empire State Building was pink, of all colors, and I figured this wasn't half bad for a Tuesday night.

1 comment:

  1. WHAT???? No Breakdown"??? WTF???
    When that song 1st came out, TP and the Heartbreakers were only played on K-ROQ!! They were considered New-Wave, so weird and random. Crissy Hine and the Pretenders were in the same boat, as was U2.
    TP puts on a great show, glad you enjoyed!!
    Love dad

    ReplyDelete