Friday, October 14, 2011

Black Tie Optional

Now that I'm in the Office of Alumni Relations, my work is a bit different and (dare I say it?) more engaging and fun. I had to help work a networking event downtown for Energy-Sector alumni. I have no idea what the dress code was and if the black tie was optional, but it was clearly business formal. I own no suits whatsoever but somehow managed to pull together some combination of a dark, fitted dress, stockings, heels and a blazer to be passable.

After work, my boss and I got in a cab for a miserable traffic-laden, stop-and-go ride to Midtown East during rush hour to the Scandinavia House to assist with the program.


It was dark and misty-rainy, which is why this picture from the Internet works loads better. Everything was already set up, so I went straight for the bar (old habits die hard) for a dry white wine, and loaded up a plate of sushi, sesame chicken, mango chicken shishkabob, cheese, and tons and tons of vine-stuffed grapeleaves. (THOSE. ARE. MY. FAVORITE!) I had to work the check-in table which turned out to be a win-win scenario, because I didn't have to awkwardly talk to these suited alums and students... and the bartenders frequently made rounds to us for refills, so no need to wait in line.

The two and a half hours went by pretty fast, and though I was authorized a work-sponsored cab home, I didn't feel like going home, so i walked around midtown pleasantly. Came to this nice little well-known place that I thought looked lovely in the rain


And after awhile I hailed a cab for my luxurious ride straight to home's door.

No comments:

Post a Comment