Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Second Saddest Thing

...is the day after your birthday. I already learned what the first saddest thing was in college. The mailroom for students living in the dorms was a room of vast floor-to-ceiling little brass doors that could only fit letter-sized envelopes, so anything larger than that had to be posted with the mail counter, and up on their wall they put up a sign that said "There's Nothing Sadder Than An Empty Mailbox" and I thought it was so true! Don't you feel a little defeated everytime you check the mail and there's nothing there? Me too!

I am actually being a little selfish, because I think I got an extra 5 hours of birthday celebrations, so I more than got a full day. After work I raced home (in stilettos. Not recommended) and with the time change it was a beautiful, sunny, warm evening and I had the most refreshing power nap in a bright, cheery room before getting ready for my birthday dinnerrrrrr!

Mexican Radio is a fabulous little bar/restaurant in SoHo and I am loving this time change because it was still light (and warm!), and Jens and I got there first, and watched a movie being filmed across the street, and got drinks while we waited for the table. I had a (delicious!) dinner with friends from old work, new work, college and Germany in attendance, splitting the pitchers of beer and sangria (save for Jenny who is about to pop with a full grown baby in 4 weeks) and I enjoyed the photo shoot Samantha and I embarked on in the right middle of dinner











After dinner and birthday flan, Josh suggested we meet up with some coworkers in town from their foreign posts who were getting drinks. So we hiked over to East Village, and this is the part of the story where it becomes so unexpectedly amazing I got wind to stay out until 4:30a.

Sean is from South Africa, working for my old work in Bangkok, and he was exactly like I remembered him from the last time he was in town: party. animal. Sean will do anything and everything, and do it 110%. He has the most infectious good mood and energy, and is SO FUN. Being reunited was fun enough, but finding out it was my birthday, he went absolutely crazy (I think they loved having an excuse to party so hard and for so long on a Wednesday!) and they were shouting and singing, giving me the tabletop candles to blow out over "Guacamole Cake" (read: bruschetta with guacamole smeared on top) and then two bottles of champagne were brought to the table and more singing to me! I was just eating it up. I love my birthday! I couldn't believe I found someone who was arguably more excited about it than I was! (Everytime it seemed to occur to Sean that it was my birthday, it would come out again: BIRTHDAY GIRL! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!) and the surprises didn't end there. Who shows up but JOE!! Joe is THE busiest, most high-life socialite you can EVER expect to meet. He is booked up months in advance, always off on a new adventure, opening some new art gallery, or vacationing in the Hamptons (and yes, he was the one that brought me and Jayna to the Hamptons last Fourth of July!) and Joe is FUN! I was so excited to see him and said I couldn't believe it, it was like seeing the sun! I don't even know what that means, but he seemed to enjoy it!



More drinks, more champagne! And because Sean was there for "work" they took the entire tab for us. I'd say that's a birthday gift in itself! We didn't stop there. We found ourselves at a dance club around the corner (SO FUN!) and then closed at a dive with a pool table, (there's no other way to end the night when Josh is involved) and here, Ben wanted to get me a birthday drink, and the bartender didn't even charge us! Oh happy day! It must have been that we were STILL yelling and screaming our excitement anytime anyone said "Birthday girl!" Or "Happy Birthday!" At some indeterminate time, Josh, Jens and I split a cab uptown and I crawled into bed between 4:30 and 5? So I am a ray of sunshine at work today.

So you see, I should be so thankful I had such a great birthday, but I can't help but feel like it's the day after Christmas today. So sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment