Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Timely Spring

This time last year I still felt fully invested in a New York winter. And yet today, the first day of spring 2012, was the first time in months (5 1/2 I'd guess) that I was able to step outside with bare legs, and it always feel so bizarre. Not wearing stocking or legging or tights or nylons with a skirt or dress after half a year, it's as though I am feeling my legs for the first time, it's really strange, but freeing, and exciting to know that this remains in my future for the next long while, as do capri pants and flats!

In a quick backtrack, last weekend was nice, albeit a little uneventful. I spent all weekend recovering from my birthday night out, the East Village dance clubs and bars, champagne toasts and free shots that put me in bed at 5am and continued to plague me through til Sunday evening. Still, Jens and I got to the Bronx Zoo on Friday (and it was a zoo just getting there) and it was the best zoo experience ever, better than San Diego and Santa Barbara, because it was quiet, and cool and overcast, the animals were SO ACTIVE!


West Side Entrance


"And how does lemur skin reflect sea, Velouria?" -The Pixies


I used to live in Africa with all the little birdies and all the little monkeys!

And St Paddy's Day was joyous great weather. We started with brunch and St Patrick's Sangria! A white wine base with kiwis, limes and apples!



Enjoying the city and everyone's green antics, we made it to Strand Bookstore before finding bars in the West Village and ultimately, Union Square, when I ran into some coworkers. What are the chances? (Answer: They're slim). Walking in Greenwich we happened near what must be NYU's Linguistics Department:


Hi friends! The culmination of all my years of studying and time poured into my senior thesis came to this moment, this one picture

Oh and the good ol' faithful Empire State Building was all green for the occasion, which looked beautiful and festive early in the night, but later on when clouds were rolling in, it looked so spooky!



And now? Now, my birthday is over. Now, work is crazy with admissions decisions going out. Academic spring break is over so I'm back to late night classes, readings and papers and dreading Jayna moving away...! Happy Springtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment