Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Les Trois Misérables

For 2013, Ronnie, Betsy and myself aimed to continue our monthly Family Dinners, which means the 3 of us get together for some sort of food (usually some weird combination-concoction Ronnie dreams up) and some sort of movie (generally trashy straight-to-video teen girl films chosen by Ronnie), but we opted for another route this time and we went to see Les Misérables before dinner together.


I was not a fan of the movie. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe's singing was as awkward as it sounds, and them singing every last word was so unnecessary. It was actually music to my ears when they actually spoke anything (which was almost never) and it was just dragging on and on and it just didn't make sense as a movie to me, I really think it's a stage production. But whatever. We bitched over it at a sushi restaurant across the street. They were really thinking about the audience when they titled that thing.

Yesterday on the wintry walk across the campus from the subway on my way in to work, I had my headphones in and I saw a guy who was definitely not a student just standing there with another guy start talking to me. I was going to just ignore him because it was obvious I hadn't heard him, but I stopped and took a headphone out and asked him to repeat himself.

He asked me if I wanted breakfast.

Not, would you like to go get breakfast, or, can I buy you breakfast, but, would I like breakfast? I was really baffled and thought maybe he was offering it to me as if he had leftovers, or maybe I looked hungry and he was going to direct me to a soup kitchen, so I had to say "Oh I just bought food, but thank you," he said okay and let me on my way. I am still confused what that was, but if it was a pick-up line, it is still at LEAST second after "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair..."

2 comments: