Saturday, January 12, 2013

"We're Following the Drag Queens"

This has been the longest week of my life, and no I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a dramatic person, why do you ask? When my coworker invited me out with her and her friends yesterday, I was really on the fence. I kinda just felt like going home and sleeping and recovering. But, per usual, when it came down to it, I didn't feel like just going straight home, so I decided to join for one drink. (You can see where this is going.)

We go down to the Greenwich Treehouse, a very unpretentious and quirky bar in the Village, where I grab us a round and meet her friends. I was blown away immediately by how nice they all were. Usually as the new one in a group you stay on the sidelines, contribute occasionally, and need to feel the group out first. (Or maybe this is my rule since I can be so sarcastic, I have to watch myself, it doesn't come off well too strong in new settings.) But they were SO GREAT. I felt like I had hung out with them before, they were all asking my opinion on things in their conversations, incorporating me into all the discussions and really engaged in things I had to contribute. They were so friendly! So that's how one round turned into two... plus a round of kamikaze shots.


There was talk of relocating, so I figured I would head to the subway when they went somewhere new... until they said they wanted to go find a place to dance. WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?! So naturally I stayed on. Plus, we were already in the Village, it was just too easy.

Someone looked up and found a dance place with no cover, but when we went there, it did have a cover due to a live band. I started to think things were just going to disintegrate cause everyone got discouraged, until someone piped up "This way!" and led us across 6th Avenue in the rain "We're following the drag queens!" and that's when I knew, yes, this was going to be a good night.

We followed those drag queens right into a bar in the West Village near the Stonewall Inn, where tequila came out and we found our way downstairs to their superawesome dance floor scene. It was a giant winding staircase going down and the wall was all paneled mirrors and downstairs everything was mirrors and neon lights, silver streamers and a big opened floor. The DJ was kickin with house mixes and Eurostyle music, and we got to dance our little hearts out and it was SO GRATE! (Not a typo-- Bruno reference.) I was surprised by how fun my coworker was and how great her friends were.

I'll try to end the story there instead of bringing us all to tears with the saga of my awful trek home, and how the 7 train is under construction and I had to take 3 trains to a junction and wait half an hour for a train that never came and walked 15 blocks home in heels. Ugh. I was le misérable, where's my oscar?! But until that time, fabulous Friday night.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your poor feet. Dancing tonight? Aunt Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, nope! Friday met my dancing quota for the weekend :)

      Delete