Monday, January 28, 2013

So. This Is Brooklyn.

As promised, Saturday was my rock climbing adventure. I've been to Crooklyn/ Brokelyn/ Brooklyn more times than I can count, but everytime I emerge from the subway I just love to say "So. This is Brooklyn" a la Rachel Green from this clip below...! (It happens at the 0:05 mark but just FYI the entire clip is totally worth your time!)



I was coming from a class in Chelsea and got to the rock climbing place a little early. It's a converted... something, I don't know, garage?


I was meeting a friend of a friend who is a member at the gym and once she showed up she helped get me set up with the waiver and shoes and then we changed (and this was the fantastic dressing room door I got.)


The place was actually pretty awesome. It's a huge open gym with boulders and walls and bridges and inclines and it's warm and they just have good music blaring (I mean, it is Brooklyn...!) My friend showed me how to read the wall paths and find the trails that would be easiest for me to do, we chalked up our hands and went for it.

The only thing that really sucked was how crowded that place was!!! It was intimidating to be rock climbing as a newbie but everyone waiting for their turn just staring at you. Still, I liked it. I liked the mental challenge of finding where to do next, and I liked the physical aspect of it, I liked being able to move in a different way, and I really feel like I got a work out. (My forearms are still pretty sore today!) The only thing that bothers me is how these Park Slope Brooklyn hipsters don't have a sense of humor! At the base of all the walls are huge gymnastics mats, naturally, to cushion all the falls. I did a particularly tricky route (for me!) and was excited when I reached the top that I just sort of jumped down instead of climbing down. Well, I nailed that landing, so what else was there to do but salute the judges (aka other people) a la gymnastics landing

Photobucket

...and no one seemed amused. Welp. Have a nice life!

After a couple of hours of mountain climbing, we walked the miserably icy walk to the subway but stopped in for a round of drinks at a cozy tapas-type bar. And yesterday I was so productive around the house, you would have thought I was on some sort of drug. But I wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment