Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Snowtime Days

My past weekend was colored by the Nemo snowfall, music, aaaaand Palak! I had such a nice weekend, I'm still coming down a little bit. On Friday we got out of work early because of the storm, so my coworker and I went for drinks at In The Heights, a bar around Columbia with a third floor covered roof, which was perfect to watch the snow (conveniently overlooking Tom's Restaurant).


I had to leave in time to get home before the train rails iced over and I would have to swim across the East River. This picture is crazy because of the 0% visibility...


...where the next day you can see the Manhattan skyline perfectly


On Saturday morning I made it to the post office in the snow before heading into the city for my morning class.



I had my early class and then we all went for drinks afterwards, so that it was lunch when we were finished and Palak had just arrived in the city, and I met up with her and our other friend, Pooja, whom I did the rock climbing with. (Palak was one of six people on that bus! It's like there was a snowstorm or something and people didn't want to come up from the DC area). Weird. Some Panera bread, then splitting to get ready, and then down to Webster Hall near Astor Place in the Village to see Lindsey Stirling!

Here's the story on Lindsey Stirling. Palak had caught some of her videos on YouTube and loved them and kept sending them to me at work. I thought they were nice, sure, but didn't think of them much after, but Palak never recovered from those and always said she loved Lindsey Stirling and wanted to see her in concert. Lindsey playing a show in New York City was part of what got Palak out to NYC in the middle of February, and I really wanted to go to the concert with Palak because I knew what a big deal it was for her! I met Palak and Pooja at the venue, thinking this was going to be a long two hours (just some dancing violin like a Shire hobbit? No words?) and I ponied up to the bar before moving deep into the thick of the crowd.


All I have to say after that show is: HOLY. S@#%. I was actually moved to tears. It was incredible and absolutely unreal. Lindsey Stirling plays with a drummer and a guy on synthesizers, so it is loud and deep and you feel it vibrating. She has lots of lights and backdrops, and then she goes and puts these passionate strings on top of it and it is unlike anything you've heard before. It was so beautiful! She even did a Michael Jackson medley (on the violin!) and then Phantom of the Opera! I was sold. I chose this clip below a little arbitrarily, but anything you look up by her is well worth it, especially to see live performances!



After the show, Pal, P and I went to Union Square for some Mexican and then looked up dance clubs, only to find 1 bar with 2 1/2 stars on Yelp, which we went to, and it was the worst little wannabe dance place, but the music was so good, and I was just in love with how awful it was! And we got to dance for quite some time, I loved it.

On Sunday, Palak and I braved the residual snow to Brooklyn for a warm, beautiful, great brunch. It was so relaxing and nice and perfect.


We met up with Pooja in the city, got Palak's ear pierced at the place I got my nose pierced in East Village, then went down to SoHo until it was time for Palak to catch her bus back down to DC, and I went home to relax and go to bed early, which never never happens, as I can never seem to get to bed before midnight no matter what I do.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!! That video was amazing! I would love to watch her play live sometime!
    Tell Palek to look up Jon Luc Ponty. He invented the electric Violin.
    Love ya!
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete