Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmastime Revisited

First of all, welcome back to the city, self! The flights were easy and absolutely painless. I watched Inception on the flight to Newark and then spent the rest of the time sleeping. When we landed, I was thinking "where is the snow?" then I realized I was looking at snow, not concrete, and it had been shoveled off just the runway paths and there were curbs of snow lining it.

After a lengthy and expensive cab ride into the city, I didn't even recognize my corner when we got there because of the snow! It was piled up to my waist around cars and trashcans and the corners, and very narrow diagonal walkways up the curb at intersections. I tried to unpack a little, to air out my place a little, and to crash early, but I was still exhausted this morning.

THANK GOODNESS FOR MY TIMBERLANDS!! I was even slipping and catching ice walking in those this morning, and it felt weird just head out in the neighborhood, but next to huge mounds of snow lining the streets, while otherwise it was clear blue skies and no snow left in the trees or on buildings. And welcome to snow in the city: trash in it, over trash cans, and slushy and black in the streets. There are a few pretty piles left though, and I haven't seen Central Park yet...!

It's hard being back in the city, so far away. Last night was hard to come back to my place alone after my time surrounded by friends and family at every turn. Coming into work was nice though, and I am slowly getting adapted to being right back where I was before and I'll be taking it one day at a time and exploring the city and my new life.

Sadly I forgot to bring a camera home so I only have a few pictures from my time there. But here is what I have at my disposal right now since my updating hiatus


From the company holiday party, this is the Student Services team along with Kam, our Asias admissions ally!


The Fabulous Student Services Dream Team


Dancing up with Joe, the last piece of Student Services Dream Team who came too late for the rest of our nice pre-drinks pictures!


Just me, dancing away


Just us at grandma's, preparing my famous Greek Salad, which is not at all in keeping with Christmas cuisine. Still, it's so fresh and healthy, and no lettuce, and I like that


Whose glasses were those?


The Kelley's at Aunt Patricia and Uncle Steve's vow renewal


Kathleen and I agreed that the festivities of the wedding of our aunt made us all feel more festive and like the holidays, and it was great to have those sides of the family together in one place. It was small, intimate, fun, and beautiful, and I am so so so happy for Aunt Patricia and Uncle Steve. This picture of all of us is the first of its kind!

It's nostalgic to look at these and then be back in New York City, but I'm getting through it like I did before: one day at a time. And it's great to know the people supporting me who will always be there whenever I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment