Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Koreatown

Before I moved to NYC I had never had Korean food, not even once. I couldn't even tell you what constituted Korean food or even a basic idea of the cuisine. And now, maybe it's just more popular here, maybe it's because I work so close to Korea town, or maybe I've just finally branched out, but since I've been in New York City, I can't even count how many times I've had Korean food now.

I bring it up because last night Ronnie's mother, who is in town, took us out to dinner... a table of 5 friends which included ourselves and Betsy and Casey. It was AMAZING, not only to have dinner with everyone, but just Ronnie's mother herself, who apparently only trusts Queens, Bloomingdales, and Koreatown, for her living, shopping, and eating needs while in New York City, respectively. She was so concerned about everyone enjoying their food, that everytime I ventured a name of what I was thinking about to Ronnie she told me "no". And actually, her and Ronnie ended up getting into an argument about my meal... and Mother Ronnie won! I had some sort of barbecue bul go ki beef? It was delish. And the appetizers were all good too, except anytime someone would reach for something Mother Ronnie didn't think they would like, she would tell them "no, don't eat it". At the end of the meal she ordered this icy soy dish for us. She is so sweet! After that we went and got coffee and tea, and Ronnie made me order the "Longing Heart" tea, which looked like an aquarium. It was a good mid-week meal and fun to see Betsy and Casey too!

On the way out, I went to the same subway stop as Ronnie and Mother Ronnie, who didn't like where we stood. "No light! Come this way" and walked us over to a brighter platform. When the train was coming: "Ronnie! Stand back!" She was just the cutest thing ever!



I am happy to have so many Korean experiences with Mother Ronnie in them

1 comment:

  1. Korean food are my favorite flavors. Sound wonderful. Peace, maka

    ReplyDelete