Monday, December 12, 2011

Coffee Creamer

What's it going to take to get coffee creamer in this city?! I'm actually asking...! I've had it in my head that Duane Reade, the NYC based pharmacy that is actually Walgreen's or Rite Aid or whatever with a different name out front, sells them... and they sell drinks and beer and milk... and I swear I've bought coffee creamer from there before! Well do you know how many of these I stopped into looking for coffee creamer and it wasn't there? It was tragic. And I passed plenty of little markets and grocery stores, but in this cash-only city, I was terrified of being confronted with a credit card minimum and then having to buy a bunch of stuff I didn't need, or couldn't afford. I even stopped in the deli below me but they didn't have any, and I felt awkward walking right back out, so I bought a pity orange juice.

After 3 or 4 unsuccessful tries last night, I resorted to stopping in to the Appletree Deli, a small market I pass on my walk to work that all the students use, and I was remembering how CoffeeMate has the Christmas flavors this time of year (mmm gingerbread) but of course, all they had was Original and Amaretto. You'd think I'd just be happy to have found creamer but no, no I was bitter. (First World problems, eh?) The only "real" supermarket out here that you West Coasters would know is Trader Joe's, and the closest is 72nd, and anyways they don't even sell coffee creamer that I've ever seen. I might open a store in NYC that sells ONLY coffee creamer. The catch will be that I make amazing flavors, like Thanksgiving feast and Bacon Wrapped Porkchops... has a nice ring to it, right??

Also I forgot about this gem of a picture



Jens and I called it "Place d'Americain" in Montreal because why else would they put the only McDonald's, Subway and Starbucks on the same street corner? (I know it's hard to see in the picture) It was still my favorite place because of that Starbucks though...



It's funny cause when I first moved to Europe, I had this scavenger hunt to take a picture of myself in front of every Puma store I could find, but as the year went on, I got more excited about the Starbucks I would find (since there were none in Bordeaux... and yet one on the remote Greek isle of Mykonos... hmm...) and that became my newest obsession.

The temperatures have certainly taken a dip finally (it's mitten and glove season for sure!) but I wish it would snow already!

No comments:

Post a Comment