Sunday, December 11, 2011

No Sleep til Santacon

I think the last time I stayed awake for over 20 hours was June 2008 when I was writing the last paper of my undergraduate career and I was so sad that I purposely delayed it and took until 6 in the morning to finish it. This time, however, I had no idea my day was going to turn into a 21-hour holiday extravaganza.

Welcome to New York City's holiday pubcrawl Santacon: Dress as Santa and get free drinks on the crawl. Due to the staggering popularity and high volume, the "official" pub crawl gets way too overcrowded for its own good, so just about every bar in midtown has Santacon specials, and now the goal is to dress in Christmas cheer, although Santas are still the main drag.

Officially it starts at 11 a.m., but that meant predrinks at Betsy's at 9 a.m. on a Saturday and yes you read that right. Because I had a holiday party engagement that evening, my plan was just show up for a few morning Bloody Mary's before going to home to change, work on my paper and get ready for the evening. But how can you expect to make any good decisions when you started the day with a decision to start drinking at 9 a.m. ??





















I stumbled away from Santacon to get the train out to Jayna & Stephen's holiday party in Queens and showed up with a raging headache, nauseous and starting my hangover. Nevertheless it was very fun, so I hope no one judges my amusement by the fact that I cuddled up next to pregnant-belly Jenny and took a "disco nap" before waking up completely refreshed and revitalized! I celebrated by taking down Daniel, the Wii tennis champion who suddenly complained of a "battery problem" in the Wii remote after he was defeated.

A freezing romp on the playground before our group catching the 7 train into the city to our respective destinations, I walked in my door as the first rays of sunlight were lighting the black sky and I dropped down dead exhausted, and didn't really get up again until 2:30 in the afternoon. I can't really call today wasted though, when yesterday was so fun and joyful with Christmas cheer... I mean beer... I mean, wait, yes, cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment