Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympic Commentators

Writing this article gives me a little deja-vu... somehow I recall the Summer 2004 Athens Olympics when my friends and I used to spend our days watching the Games on TV and then play volleyball into all hours of the night, and I feel like we used to make fun of the commentators back then too. So maybe it is a thing.

This morning I was flipping between swimming, fencing, and ping pong (excuse me, "table tennis"), and got completely drawn into the fencing competition. It was South Korea's Nam versus Italy's Di Francisca. Nam had a heavy lead, but Di Francisca came back to tie it. There was 20 seconds left and they were just going back to positions when Di Francisca stopped to tie her shoes.

Commentator #1: Uh-oh. Di Francisca is stopping to tie her shoes... do you think she's playing a little psychological sportsmanship here?

Commentator #2: Um, no. I think the score is tied, her shoes are not, so she's tying them now.

I did laugh out loud, but how stupid are they? These are professionals? This struck me as the kind of conversation/commentary Jayna and I would have if we were the ones on the microphones. "The score is tied. Her shoes are not." And something tells me that we would be way better at it.



Above see my patriotic pride in the cleanest, classiest, and clearly most scenic borough: Brooklyn. And doesn't that dark/wet spot look like the Nike sign? I should be collecting royalties for this masterpiece.

Update: On a recap of highlights, Kazakhstan won something, and the commentator said verbatim "Somewhere, Borat is happy." Is that kosher? Cause I'm guessing not. So lame, they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment