Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Everybody Wins

Everybody Wins is the program that I am a part of that allows me to spend lunchtime reading once a week with my elementary school child. Since reuniting after the summer break, she sure has opened up a bit.

I wasn't able to make it last week and this week she was so excited to see me, I didn't know she had it in her. She gave me a handmade card on pink construction paper that reads "Ms. M K Thank you. ♥ " and on the inside it says "Thank you. You read books with me. You are grat."

The way she (mis)spelled great is close to how Kathleen and I text each other when we're referencing the way Brüno says "GRATE!" So when I read the card and thanked her, I used my best Brüno voice to say "GRATE! I love it, thank you!" but she probably didn't get the joke.



She has had such adorable and entertaining things to say lately though, that I wanted to share.

For one, on our first lunchtime after summer, we were doing a re-getting-to-know-you worksheet. When I read the question to her "What do you want to be when you grow up?" she deliberated for all of a few seconds before she looked up at me and shouted, eyes aglow "A bus driver!" and doggonnit if I didn't write that down in pen and tell her to save this paper for forever.

Next, she mentioned to me that she might go to Pueto Rico.

"Oh how cool! Have you been to Puerto Rico before?" I asked her.

"Yeah of course, cause I have family there. I'm half Puerto Rican."

"Wow, how fun!"

"Yeah, I'm half Puerto Rican, and I'm half black, and I'm half New York, and half Cuban, and my stepdad is something so I'm half something else too."

She just started the 3rd grade like a month ago so who can blame her if she hasn't gotten to fractions yet?

She was really restless today and couldn't let me get through even a paragraph of her favorite Diary of a Wimpy Kid and she interrupted me to ask if I lived with my boyfriend or if I lived alone.

"I don't have a boyfriend, but I live with friends," I told her.

"Really? You got other people in your house? Cause you know someone can maybe open your door with a credit card."

The things they think of! Everybody really does win.

No comments:

Post a Comment