Thursday, October 11, 2012

Love Is A Full-Length Mirror

...so says the love of my life, one Mr C-O-L-B-E-R-Silent T.

Okay. The moment we've all been waiting for. What was my time in the Staten Island Half-Marathon? Well, I am proud to announce that it was my best time ever in a half-marathon, in that I didn't run it, so I couldn't have gone any slower! I know you're thinking: "this girl talked about it for how long and didn't run it?!" I should be ashamed of myself. But guess what:

Photobucket

That's how bad my knees were. In Raleigh I did little more than walking and dancing, except for two seconds when Jayna and I were walking Pippin and had to jog across the street to make the light. Knees: Burning. I just couldn't do it. And rather than ruin them for life over something I don't even like that much (She doesn't even go here!) I forewent it. I can't say I didn't see this coming. Devotees may remember the Staten Island Curse Ronnie and I found that was over us. We just can't make it to that place for some reason. I was expecting her to rear her ugly head somehow.

So, I'm sorry to my mom and Aunt Frances who sent me nice cards that I put up in my room to inspire me, only to not run at all. But you know what? I hate running. Or I did. I never thought that I would ever even be able to run a mile consistently, let alone 6. I learned I could run regularly, and almost like it. I learned that training is a real thing, and if you spend all summer traveling and half-running and not putting in the time, you'll really screw up your knees otherwise. I've decided to keep up the running (if I can) and go for more 5k's and eventual 10k's and won't write off a half-marathon. Buuuuut ain't nobody got time for that right now. So I'm going to save my knees and pace myself.

And, what could make me schoolgirl-giddy-happier than seeing Stephen Colbert? Nothing! Only Stephen Colbert! I secured tickets this time (no more 4 hour waits in the snow!) back in August and went with a coworker last night to another taping. Oh, he makes my heart melt like a popsicle on the 4th of July, that Stephen! Unlike last time, I was actually able to be calm enough to take in what was going on and watch the show, even if my eyes were still pulsating red hearts and the heart bubbles were floating out of my head. If they would let me, I would intern at that show, for free, no benefits, seven days a week, even if it were to do nothing more than feed him grapes and brush his hair.

I mean really, HOW COULD YOU SAY NO TO THIS FACE?!


"You see, we're America the Beautiful, not America 'Well, At Least She Has a Great Personality'" -Stephen Colbert

If anyone is interested, this is the episode we were at, which also aired last night. It was good! And there's even a segment involving a news story from San Bernardino! So close to home, it's like he was asking to come back for Christmas with me and meet everyone.



And for anyone interested in seeing Stephen Colbert OUT OF CHARACTER with Oprah... I loved this piece! He talks about how his character came to be and what he thinks about the political influence he holds...



After the show, said coworker and I took a little walk to the subway through Times Square. It's getting colder, and tourist season is over, so it wasn't half bad as far as crowds go, and the weather was fairly nice too. It felt very New York to see Colbert and then go through the theatre district in the evening. It was pleasant.

You also might know that last time I saw Stephen Colbert, I was riding such a high, I rode it all the way to the East Village and got my nose pierced. This time I took a little less drastic approach. As I went home and made dinner and got my lunch ready for the next day, I put the TV on and there was a commercial that involved those multiple-year montages of someones face so you watch them grow in fast-forward. I don't know why but I always thought it would be kinda neat to do and I thought "I should try that sometime." But then I also thought "Why don't I just try now?" I mean, after all, it was a milestone of a day, another Colbert sighting. What could be better? So I took the first picture of my face. The goal is from October 10, 2012, to October 10, 2013, to take one picture of my face everyday and then probably just get super depressed to watch how much grayer and wrinklier I am at the end. Lulz. But seriously, I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment