Monday, October 29, 2012

"Hurricane" Sandy

Imagine you're just going about your life, humming and whistling and looking forward to your weekend plans and Halloween, and you wake up one Friday morning all rested with the birds chirping and everyone is freaking out because there's a hurricane and she's coming in two days and START PREPARING.

Uhhh wut? It really felt like a hurricane evolved from one minute to the next and suddenly it was "the perfect storm." At least with Hurricane Irene I felt like there was some warning and a natural progression of things. But after Hurricane Irene and the Big Letdown that became, I just kinda look at Sandy like:

Photobucket

But then again, Sandy was looking at me like:


I truly, truly do not care about Sandy. I mean, of course I care about how she will affect everyone, especially on the coast and all, but I am really not at all worried about being in any danger or stranded or whatever. Everyone keeps stressing that the storm itself shouldn't be too bad, it's the flooding and coastal surge that will leave lasting damage, and NYC seems to be pretty prepared and good at takin' care of business, and I'm on the 5th floor so I'm just chillin. I mean, after watching The Hunger Games and all, I think I could be up for a post-apocalyptic challenge. (And for the record, I already have the pilgrimage-back-to-California-on-foot plans with Sri and Palak, and recruited an NYC native to ally with me and help get me out of NYC to Philadelphia for it too.) The subways are shut down so I'm all up in my hood with my roommates, but hey, got a free Monday and Tuesday off of work, so I'm kinda all like

Photobucket

Jayna was here this weekend for Halloween (more on that later) and we got breakfast early on Sunday morning with Jenny and baby Olivia! What a cute kid man, not only is she adorable and beautiful, but SO WELL BEHAVED. She reminded me of a cat. Just big open eyes, quiet, inquisitive, occasionally made grabs at my scarf.


After we dropped Jayna off at the airport, Jenny and I decided to go grocery shopping. For the record: I wasn't going hurricane shopping, I just needed to do normal shopping anyway, I was down to like, no food at all. When Jenny ran back to an aisle to grab something or go to the restroom, I amused myself with Olivia by pictures. Look at this pre- and post- flash photoshoot!


SO CUTE! Anyway, my favorite part of that shopping excursion was the fact that we did it at a Korean supermarket in Flushing, Queens. Down an aisle of canned food, Jenny spotted a small display of SILKWORMS. I'm not even kidding... canned and package SILKWORMS, and the picture was a platter tray of silkworms arranged on a plate garnished with lettuce. I picked up a can. Jenny picked up a can. I shouted "Ew! Can you believe this?!" Jenny shouted "Oh my God, 168 calories!" HAHAHAHA!

I got home and was bored, and ended up crying my way through Titanic, and then watching Bridesmaids while all I really wanted was ice cream, but I didn't have any. It was a moral dilemma. Do I get it and risk the power going out and having to eat the entire thing in a day? Ultimately I decided I Was up for the challenge. At the crowded and crazed grocery store, I ended up buying more non-perishables begrudgingly, and even a case of water. Not because I really wanted it or needed it, but everyone else was and I must have looked so unprepared. Who needs water in a HURRICANE when you have a BRITA?! Just stick the Brita out the window! But I also invested in some non-food preparations, such as cake mix and frosting to bake today, and nail polish, for when the power is really out. Lord knows when I'll be back at work. The worst of this storm is really just sitting around and waiting for it.

So today is day 1 of Sandy's mess. I've slept in, made a big breakfast, drank coffee out of my Chargers mug (a day late, which is why they lost... but who can care when the GIANTS WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!! And I didn't even get to Finnerty's, the San Francisco bar in the city to watch it, cause the dumb subways were shut down last night) and had a Google Hangout with Sri and Palak!!!



We're the San Diego East Coasters' stuck indoors today, but doesn't look like we can really complain about it. I also have tentative plans with roommates and friends to get us through the hurricane, including drinking, Rock Band, feasting on provisions, reading (I just recently got two books from the library, what perfect timing! The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe, and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez) journaling, writing, guitar, nail painting, actual paintingg (picked up some small canvases recently) baking if the oven still works, and who knows, maybe I'll even clean or get so bored I'll rearrange my room again. There's no end to what I can come up with.

And FYI, the storm is finally starting to pick up a little! The rain is going sideways and the wind gusts are pretty strong and loud. So Sandy is duking it out with Irene and looks like Sandy's winning. If anything happens, I may not respond to text messages in an effort to preserve my cell phone battery as long as possible (assuming the power goes out) so I'll try to update here if I can. Otherwise, I'll try to get you all something really nice and shiny if it comes to riots and looting.

No comments:

Post a Comment