Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Indian Summer

I was thinking today about how odd it was that I was walking outside with a light jacket and didn't even need my scarf-- and it's mid November. I am happy to soak up as much of autumn as humanly possible, but it does seem rather late in the year to have such great weather (today, though overcast and gloomy, was up to 69 or 70 degrees I think!) A woman in my office said we were having an Indian Summer, and I agreed. Then I went back to my desk and looked it up because I had no idea what that was (lololololol).

An Indian Summer is a meteorological phenomenon that occurs in the autumn. It refers to a period of considerably above normal temperatures, accompanied by dry and hazy conditions, usually after there has been a killing frost. Depending on latitude and elevation, the phenomenon can occur in the Northern Hemisphere between late September and mid November. (via Wikipedia).

Killing frost! Remember the freak snow storm on October 29? And today is exactly mid-November! It's exactly that! I think it means that winter might last really long (sadface) but I suppose the more of autumn we have, the happier I am.

Also, someone recently played for me their live, acoustic rendition of The Bonnie Lass o' Fyvie (aka Peggy O) and I was so enamoured by the soft and melodious interpretation that I later went home and opened up a research project on all the versions of the unknown-author folk song. I was not at all impressed with the twangy, bluegrass sounding tracks by Bob Dylan or Simon & Garfunkel, and not even the Grateful Dead compared with what I had heard over the weekend. I had it in my head and wouldn't rest until I found something similar, and I happened upon this youtube version of it.



Ironically, I think it's done wonderfully, and the guy sounds EXACTLY like Jack Johnson... I am convinced Jack Johnson has a track of this song out there somewhere that this joker just dubbed over his visual, buuuuut either way I still get to listen to this, so it's win-win. I find it to be splendid, relaxing, beautiful music for fall weather.

Would you marry me pretty Peggy-O?
Would you marry me pretty Peggy-O?
If you would marry me
I would set your cities free
Free all the people of the area-O

I would marry you, sweet William-O
I would marry you, sweet William-O

No comments:

Post a Comment