Friday, November 11, 2011

Touching Down on Bourbon Street

Yesterday I had to work another alumni event in midtown, which normally I don't mind at all dressing nice, getting ina cab and spending an evening with an open bar and appetizers, but I hadn't been feeling well, and it was getting worse. Then, three of us in a cab with our coats on, stuck in an erratic taxi slamming on his breaks every 2 minutes in the Park Avenue traffic with the windows up gave me nausea I never really got over all night long.

When the event was finally over, I was still nauseous so the last thing I wanted to do was get in a cab, so I decided to walk to the subway and take that mode of transport home. Sure am happy I did because I got to witness the Empire State Building's private lighting. (They called it "tie-dyed" and it didn't say was the occasion was because it was private). The east side was oranges and yellows and greens, and my picture didn't turn out very well, but this west side view of it was much better



Sooooo cool! I am so easily entertained. And I passed by this super fancy store with the window display that changed colors the whole time, it was really easy to stop and stare



All the pretty colors make me happy.

Aaaaand, in honor of 11/11/11, I would like to share my favorite excerpts from the CNN article talking about how people around the world are celebrating this historic numeric date

In China, November 11 has been celebrated each year as an unofficial “Singles’ Day” since it was first created by a group of college students in Nanjing in the 1990s. The ones in the date represent “unattached sticks,” a Chinese term for single people.

Lolololol, please call me an unattached stick from now on. The "unattached stick" reminded me of this picture that I saw that makes me lolololol



When I, an unattached stick, find my other half, another "unattached stick", I hope to re-enact this furry creature's elation, and I will also have this blown up poster-sized to be signed by all the guests at our wedding. It will be our engagement photo.

Continued from CNN: One mall in northeastern China’s Shenyang, Liaoning province has asked employees to dress up in bear costumes and beat couples showing signs of affection with inflatable hammers.

China seems to have the best celebrations, don't they? At 11:11 on 11/11/11 I was just sitting at my desk working on Excel and listening to the Primitive Radio Gods (a song you all know from this one-hit-wonder of the 90s). It's one of my favorite songs lyrics-wise, it's very profound, but also super melancholy.



Just so I didn't spend that whole 60 seconds listening to a depressing song being depressed, I also texted mah gurl Jayna to mark the occasion. Just another day in the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment