Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Portrait of a Lady

I'm not sure if it's due to the time change or if I finally got my act together, but lately I've been able to wake up with enough time to make lunch and get dressed leisurely (and not be so sleepy that I pack my dress and put on steamed vegetables by accident) that I've been leaving early and getting to work early. But the age old question comes into play: Who wants to be at work early?

I work right next to a small community garden and park, where many stay-at-home moms and nannies and dogwalkers (sorry, some of the kids look like that) bring kids to play during the day. So instead of waltzing in 15 minutes early, I decided to enjoy the brisk air, and the NYC fall scenery, so I sat on a bench in my red coat and heels and put a solid 15 minutes into Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady. As I did I thought to myself, I wish someone would paint a portrait of a lady (me) reading The Portrait of a Lady. And then maybe a photographer could take a portrait of the painter painting the lady reading The Portrait of a Lady. And in my mind came screaming back "I'm a LADY, I do LADY things!" from this gem of a skit:



Please, please watch this skit. You will never hear "lady" again the same. HELLO LADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment