Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Day 2012

Because at some point in the '60s or the '70s Columbia students protested the university insisting that they were disenfranchised, Election Day is a day off for me. I had some idea of the long list of things I wanted to accomplish for the day, but it never really materialized in my head, let alone getting it done. But I did manage to vote.


And I made it to midtown, to the DMV, to Triple Crown, and walked to my train at the Times Square stop, and got mesmerized by the election coverage there



There weren't THAT many people, but the news was everywhere and I ended up being pulled into frame for ABC News with some guy talking, they said his name but who really knows? Then I stuck around for another hour or so, as long as I could stand the frozen air. It was really, really cold. I even made a bunch of friends, both American and foreigners, and it was fun to watch new state results come in and see the maps color and everyone react.


I got too cold to stay much longer, and came back to my warm apartment and immediately set up camp in the living room with one of my roommates as we bounced around all the coverage, from MSNBC to Fox News and everything in-between. Heather and I got to texting and sending pictures because everything was taking foreverrrrrrr. Obama's victory speech didn't even come until around 1:30am! Sometimes it really sucks being on the East Coast (namely for this, and the Super Bowl).


Heather with a Star Wars helmet


Me on my living room couch


Me drinking my coffee from my San Diego mug to commemorate where I was for the last election in 2008. Funny I should end up on the news both nights!


Heather eating Oreos


Me waiting for anything to be decided, i.e., Romney to concede and make a speech.

Needless to say, I'm quite sleepy today! And it's so freaking cold today!! It decided to be in the mid 30s with a chance of snow (excuse me, SLEET) and a nor'easter (since when can no one figure out how to articulate "North Easterner" ?? Is that something else? Am I the dumb one?) and who knows what will happen with this after Sandy and all. Blaaaaaah.

UPDATE 2:42 PM EST: It's snowing! I am just as happy as a clam, I love the cold and the snow. It also reiterates my abhorrence of moving back to California anytime soon. I am just not done with cold snowy winters yet



I know, I know, that picture is so amazing I should be submitting it to America's Next Top Model. Maybe they will do a squinty edition and me and Taylor Swift can duke it out, or tie as Best Blond and Brunette Squinters.

2 comments:

  1. Omg I made the blog and it's not even my birthday! Score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you commented on the last entry so you earned yourself an honorable mention

      Delete