Thursday, November 8, 2012

Snow, Snow, Snow!

That title was sung to the tune of Taylor Swift's Stay, Stay, Stay from the new album. Everytime a new album of hers comes out, I get on a shameless kick of all her music. I'd apologize, but I'm not really sorry. I don't even like this song that much, but in my head I kept hearing "snow! snow! snow!" in this melody.



Snow on the windowsill, snow on the trees, snow on the cars, sidewalks and still on the breeze. I couldn't believe there was so much of it last night. I thought that the temperature just dropped cold enough for the rain to turn to snow for a little while, but man did it pile up!

After work I headed south down Amsterdam Avenue to my usual bar haunt. The snow was heavy and swirling, but I think at the moment I got this picture, just across from St John the Divine Cathedral, the wind had kicked up, and let me tell you, that is not nearly as fun.


Inside the warm bar, I couldn't stop staring out the window. It looked like a framed portrait of a moving snowglobe, the snowflakes were so thick and big! The bartender and I ended up sitting on the heater by the window and staring outside for so long that others came over to see what we were looking at, assuming it had to be something more than the snow. (It wasn't). Here's what the weather on my phone looked like.


The slushy walk last night back to my apartment.


 From a friend out in New Jersey, kinda wish I was there.


Sadly, this snow will probably all melt in a day or two and this weekend it's supposed to be back up in the 60s. I guess that's fine considering it's only November and it's not really supposed to get this heavy until January anyway, but it was a nice little break while it lasted. I'll enjoy being able to return to my normal rhythm of walk once the snow is cleared, and not scary tentative steps over the ice and having to artfully manuever my trajectory using algebra and physics everytime I come to the dirty slush and puddles that are piled high and wide at every street corner just hours after the snow starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment