Friday, November 16, 2012

Whyyyy Do I Have To Title These?

Last night I was back on the springboard. After a week off from Sandy, and a particularly stressful day inside of my head, I was dreading the 3 meter. But not only was I on the 3 meter for the first rotation, and not only was I the first person off the board on the first rotation, but it was also under the inscrutable eye of the scary coach who makes junior high girls cry. It was The Perfect Storm. I was on the edge of the board preparing for a lineup and feeling anxious when the coach stopped me and asked me to go turn the board wheel down. I was at the edge without the railing and I started baby-stepping backwards and freaking myself out, seeing myself falling over at every inch and the coach yelled up at me "Wah ara yo DOing? Is een yo mynd!" (He's Greek). So that didn't help much.

That first half hour off the 3 meter with him was terrifying, because I was afraid to disappoint him every time I had an approach off the board. However, twice, whatever I did was apparently so amazing, that when I mermaided myself to surface and found his face for a correction, all I got was a kiss he blew to me. I would say that it felt fabulous, cause it did, but within minutes I was back up on the board and terrified of disappointing him again. However, getting on the 1 meter boards after that felt like kiddie boards and I was doing so well that I got promoted to a hurdle approach off the board. It made me so happy and by the time it was 10pm I realized I had had 2 solid hours of just diving and having fun and hadn't thought about absolutely anything from earlier in the day or the week. I wish I would have found this sooner!

Tonight there is a social / club scene with my diving team and the New York Front Runners. I wasn't originally going to go, but my coworker that I share my office with is in the New York Front Runners and she's going, so that worked out well! Kiki needy the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment