Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hello November

So, Sandy huh? I feel exponentially lucky to have maintained power and water and shelter during that time after seeing everything going on. My neighborhood really was (for the most part) spared. I'm registered for volunteer relief teams and waiting for the word to go out there and help clean up and serve!

Until then, let's reflect on Shalloween 2012! Jayna came into town last weekend to excute Covert Operation: Amazing Costumes. After Friday night drinks and karaoke in Koreatown, we woke up on Saturday morning with a mind for breakfast and adventure, and found these both in the form of LIC Market brunch in Long Island City, and then walking down to Williamsburg for predrinks. Here we are leaving the house, and yes we spent all day in costume being awesome.


In the evening we joined a booze cruise along the East River which started awkwardly, and ended up being quite a comfortable little dance party with everyone making friends and whatnot. Jayna and I were happy with our reception, had doormen and passersby shouting "Party time!" as we walked by, and people taking pictures with us. We frequently had joggers or pedestrians catch one of our eyes, look to the other one, have a dawn of recognition and smile to themselves or say "nice!" to us as we passed. After the booze cruise we passed some grungy hipsters who even started bowing and telling us they weren't worthy. I wanted to tell them it was pronounced "Milly-wah-kay, which is Algonquin for The Good Land".

On the booze cruise, some of my favorite people included DORA THE EXPLORER:


Mayhem from those insurance car commercials


And a skinny little white T-Pain from I'm On A Boat who came complete with a blow-up dolphin (as Mayhem is showing us above) 


The cruise itself was beautiful, took us down the East River (prior to Sandy) and all the way out to Liberty Island.



 Now for actual Halloween (last night) my roommates and I went out to a karaoke bar down the street. We took a detour through our neighborhood and I was shocked to see heavy tree debris a few blocks down that had fallen on two cars and not only smashed the windshields in but almost folded the cars in half. Yeesh! Kids were out trick-or-treating, which was cute, and as it was the tail end of the trick or treating window, many of the Irish families in their yards were holding out candy dishes to us to get rid of the last of their candy, so I even got to do some trick or treating myself. Dreams do come true. And then karaoke? The man didn't want to let me sing "I Think We're Alone Now" in the style of Tiffany. WHY?! Who doesn't want to listen to me sing a 1987 gem?! I was highly offended.

After the cabin fever and all the distractions of home (I got all my laundry done, including all of my bedding and every piece of clothing I've ever owned, down to nylons and slips, although I could stand to clean my bathroom finally) I decided to try to make it in to work today via a very convoluted route that involved a helluva lot of walking. Now I'm not saying that I'm usually conscience at 6:30a.m., but this morning when I was it seemed a lot darker than usual, which was sad. I was out the door in frosty air, with a crowded stream of people who all had the same genius idea as me to walk to Queensboro Plaza to catch the one train running from Queens to Manhattan, which I was a little thankful for since I wasn't entirely sure how to get there on foot. (Spoiler Alert: Just walk straight down Queens Boulevard). And you know what? It wasn't even that bad! The sun was shining, the air was crisp, and in my 20 minute walk I got to listen to like, the first half of the intro to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird. And the subways weren't even that bad! The crowd across the river was big, but I've seen way worse, and the tunnels were pretty clear and easy! I took a train to the express W 96 St stop and walked uptown the rest of the way, stopping in at a local coffeeshop for coffee to go. Many of the businesses are still closed so the air is a little spooky (even Columbia, which has been back in action since yesterday) seemed a little deserted. I'm kinda interested in venturing down to midtown and downtown to see what I can.

Last night at karaoke, my roommate sang Cake. I forgot about Cake! I'm listening to them now at work, and by the way, only 4 out of 10 of us are here today. A little bit of me is not sure why I'm here today, but whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment