Friday, July 12, 2013

Full Circle

When the select people I told about my leaving heard the news, the first reaction was usually "Are you going to do a going away party?" And my answer was usually "Maybe" even though in my head it was more like "Noooo wayyyyy!" I didn't have the time or energy or resources to put together a party or be hostess, not least of all because the only weekend that seemed doable was last weekend, which was the July 4th holiday weekend, and pretty much everyone was out of town anyway. Still, I felt guilty in a way to just leave without any sort of closure, not just for me, but also for a lot of the friends I had, and there wouldn't be time to run around seeing everyone separately. I still wasn't in the mood for party planning, but Jayna suggested I just pick a bar, announce the time and place, and let anyone that wants to, come to me. I still wasn't thrilled, but I organized it all the same... and I'm so happy that I did!

I had a hard time trying to pick a location, I wanted a fun bar somewhat central, but when it came down to it, I couldn't not have it at Triple Crown. It more or less fit the criteria, and that place was my welcome mat into the city, I lived there for the entire first year, and it just made sense to end it there too. It was such a good time, and so many people came! Coworkers from my first job and second job, roommates, friends from volleyball, friends from home, friends from mutual friends, and everyone in-between.

And, two huge things! First, they ran out of Yuengling? I've been going there for how long, drinking nothing but Yuengling, and they ran out? I officially drank the Triple Crown dry of Yuengling! And secondly, this one blew my mind. All the time I've been going there, ordering from literally the same bartender, even on a first-name basis, and never once have there been any sort of buy-backs (for anyone, that I've ever known of). I had opened a tab in the beginning and before leaving asked to close it, and Joe the bartender just gave me my card back, said it was on them, and wished me luck in the future (it had become pretty obvious that I was the center of a huge going-away festivity). I didn't even know where I was! But that also could have been because I had had countless beers, vodka and pickleback shots (PICKLEBACK SHOTS!) and didn't leave until about 3am. I was too busy being hostess to take any pictures, but was able to collect these from others.

Ronnie and I in a semi-normal pose. That's weird.
This is more like our friendship
SURPRISE GUEST OF THE NIGHT: Josh Evans!
My bestest friends from the admissions team at Columbia
The look of the 3am subway ride! Oh how I will miss you.
It was such a nice way to say goodbye to so many people, I felt very fortunate I had such a good time here and made so many great friends! I'm happy for all that I've done here, and I'm happy that I'm leaving on my own terms, and I finished my job myself, and decided to end my lease myself, and that I am on control of the whole experience. I listened to Florence + The Machine's song Swimming on repeat on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment