Thursday, July 11, 2013

On Wednesday

Yesterday I got a lot done. And by "a lot" I mean that I watched all of Game of Thrones Season 2 in a day... what resume can I put that accomplishment on? I also did a lot of packing and am finishing up all the music-making. When my mom and Kathleen and I did the road trip up to Vancouver in the summer of 2005, I brought along one mix cd and a disc of Jerry Seinfeld standup. How is that sufficient for a week and a half on the road? Spoiler alert, it's not! There were some songs on there I stillllll can't listen to because it's so clockwork orange, but there were NO songs on there that I don't immediately get taken back in memory to that gold Ford Explorer blazing down the roads in western Washington state and Idaho immediately when I hear them.

All that to say that I learned my lesson this time! I bought a 50-pack of blank CDs and for the past few weeks have been working on covering ALL the bases: not just full albums of Arcade Fire or Florence + The Machine, or mix cds in every genre, and emotion, but also tons of stand up (like almost 15 hours worth, including Daniel Tosh, Louis CK, and Chris Rock) but also instrumentals for when your brain needs the break, from movie scores to Disney musicals to a rainforest nature sound. This is the kind of foresight and expertise that only comes from the pain of previous unknowing. However, at this point, I think I have enough to last me in the event the car breaks down in Jersey and I have to walk home.

Yesterday after all day packing and Game of Throning in the heat, I decided to go relax in my favorite place in the city, at the Long Island City piers. I went around dusk and was able to get one of the lounge deck chair on the front and just watch the sun set over the river in the summer night. It was a perfect night and there were lots of people, still out even at 10pm, riding bikes and walking and playing in the grass.



I tried to imagine what it was going to be like leaving, and not being able to come here or see this view anymore, but I couldn't. Despite finishing with work, despite my room being packed up, I still can't fathom the reality of it. Tonight is going away drinks and I'm sure that I still won't comprehend it even then.

No comments:

Post a Comment