Thursday, May 12, 2011

Colors of California

When I was still working in San Diego, one of my bosses from New York was out at our center for awhile. I was wearing a yellow dress and he said "Wow. That is very Californian." I was so confused, and I asked what he meant. He told me "Well it's just so bright and cheery. You don't get loud or bright colors much in New York." I never really thought about it again... until yesterday.

It was warm, and springy and I was supposed to see a Broadway show yesterday, so I dress up a bit. I admit the dress was very bright: fuschias, blues, greens and yellows, and I had a yellow flower in my hair, and a goldenrod knit cardigan. I don't think I had ever gotten so many stares and catcalls and whistles EVER since I'd been in New York!



I was becoming really overly conscious of all the stares EVERYWHERE. And not just weird men, just anyone passing, and I realized that I was the ONLY person wearing such loud colors, I really was a fish out of water. And I didn't even look that good!! My favorite was on the morning walk to the subway: some guy said "Oooh, Happy Birthday." What does that even mean?!

Anyways, after work I met up with Emilie and her friend again. It's been so fun hanging out with her and showing her New York City. She keeps saying that she feels like a little child because she's so giddy and awed by all the buildings and lights, it's adorable.

More ballet tonight, and then meeting up with Emilie afterwards. Such a busy, busy week!!

1 comment: