Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lost Little Kitty

I made it to the DMV today, and today it wasn't a four letter word, it was just three letters! With everything I needed in tow, I was about the same spot in line, but got through everything (relatively) quickly. When i was second in line, I got incredibly cold feet about getting a New York State Drivers License and instead opted for the New York State ID Card.

Turns out it's illegal to have more than one drivers license from different states, so I would have to surrender my California license. The idea of forfeiting that and letting it go made me feel so alone and lost! The thought of going to California and being a foreigner without a California ID... it was too much for me. I felt like a lost little kitty living in a shelter. I'm sure there's still hoops i could jump through to claim it lost and get a NY State drivers license, but I would also have to re-take the drivers test. In New York City! (And rumor had it back in high school that the Riverside Branch was the toughest.)



Everyone's been talking about this group of people claiming the Judgment Day is this Saturday, May 21. I give no credit to it whatsoever, but the lady at the DMV helping me had lots to say about it.

"You been hearin' about this end of the world stuff on Saturday? Man I tell you this guy already said it in the 80s. The 80s! I was alive. And my kids was alive. And back then I said 'the first flame I see I'm killing my kids', cause I ain't gunna let them suffer. Man it's a good thing no one threw a cigarette out the window, or else I'd still be in jail now." She was CRACKING me up. I think it kinda brightened the whole place up. No one likes the DMV, but it's that general atmosphere that pervades the sullenness, and the laughter seemed to breakthrough to everyone waiting in lines and on seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment