Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Urgent: Tom Petty

A friend of mine once referred to Tom Petty as a "glorified garage band". I see where they're coming from, they're a bit more mellow than some of their crazy counterparts like, I don't know, Humble Pie or Lynyrd Skynyrd, but we don't keep Simon & Garfunkel or The Eagles in the garage because they're mellow. I just lovelovelove Tom Petty.

The day I knew I loved Tom Petty was in high school, and I was at least sixteen because I was driving in my little Susie Saturn, and "Breakdown" came on. I was listening to all classic rock that summer, and I didn't know who sang this. I called Mat immediately, but he didn't pick up so I left a message saying "Tell me who this is" and held the phone up the radio speaker, and then for good measure, I marked the voicemail as urgent. From then on, we always joked that we took matters of Tom Petty urgently.

So where is this coming from? From the fact that I FINALLY watched the movie Almost Famous for the first time last night. Talk about badass! Filmed in my old neck of the woods in San Diego, (looks like North Park, University Heights and Golden Hill) plus all the great music. I'm tempted to go into the music industry so I can just sit on tour with all these great musicians... except they don't exist anymore lolololol. There's no kingdom of great rock anymore, just a mash of electronica autotuned adolescents trying to make it big. Maybe one day it will be revived.



I got up early this morning so I had extra time to absorb Tom Petty for the day ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment