Sunday, May 22, 2011

Museums of Modern Art

What a great weekend I'm having... and I'm having a five day weekend! That's right, taking some staycation days here in NYC and they started on Friday. Sleeping in, leisurely breakfast, Zumba routine, and then I left to get to the Museum of Modern Art for the free Friday evenings. It was more or less my first experience with modern art, and took some getting used to, but I was starting to love it. These were my favorite things I saw



In the architecture wing... a tiny model of a home, complete with terrain and trees, sealed in a Mason Dixie jar



In prints and books, there were walls of fonts. This particular one took me back to 4th grade in Ms McCravy's class, when we were studying fairytales and I was doing a report on one called The Golden Feather. Every day in the afternoon we would walk to the computer lab in the portable at the far side of the Upper Grade playground, and type out parts of our reports, and the computers could only really handle this font. What a ways we've come.

The further up the floors I went, the more... traditional the works became. I had no idea I was to be greeted by works of Picasso, Cezanne, Frida Kahlo, Andy Warhol, and Monet. I didn't believe I was actually looking at the famed Water Lilies triptych until I read the posted description next to it



And? The crowning glory of all art... Van Gogh has long been my favorite artist since that report I wrote on him in 3rd grade. When I was in Amsterdam, I visited the Van Gogh museum on the first day, but was crushed to learn that Starry Night was not housed there. (Why was I thinking it was at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris?) I turn a corner in MoMA and it's in front of my eyes. It was unbelievable. I had NO IDEA it was here, but there it was.



It was such a surprise, and a wonderful reward to the burly crowds I had been battling that whole afternoon. Another surprise I was thrown was what I like to remember as as the Second MoMA... or the After Hours MoMA. I was in the neighborhood Ronnie works in, so we met up with no agenda. He said he had to stick around in Manhattan for awhile since he had to work an event for his PR company in NoHo. The light went off in his head and he suggested I stay and work it with him, and we would split the profits. And that was how I came to work the front of the nightclub Butter with Ronnie and Red Rush Entertainment.

IT. WAS. SO. MUCH. FUN!! Working the front of the high-end nightclub we got such a great and amusing view of the politics of it all... seeing the doorman charge less or more for the guys or girls coming, the doorman letting in girls with fake IDs when there weren't enough people inside, promoters arguing with the club staff to allow more free bottles at the tables... the works. Ronnie and I had a great time laughing about the people and the outfits coming through, and that's when I realized I was at the Second Museum of Modern Art, with all these crazy New Yorkers over-flattering themselves. (I'm so middle class, aren't I?) Otherwise we made friends with the staff, and got free topshelf drinks to assist us on our shift. We left around 3 a.m. with the easiest $100 I had ever made, and got home around 4 in the morning.

The crazy schedule continues as getting home at 4 a.m. was time to hit the sack and wake up in a few hours for a shower and a great walk to Lincoln Center for a matinee showing of Bridesmaids (loved it!) with Ronnie and Claire, followed by a great brunch of eggs florentine and a bottomless mimosa. I walked home in the beautiful warm weather and took a nap, and find myself still awake at this hour! Sunday will be ballet and church... it feels wrong to be so relaxed!

No comments:

Post a Comment