Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Helga

Everyone is talking about the hurricane. And I know it's not Hurricane Helga, but doesn't that sound a million times better? Why do they give all these disastrous storms these dolled up names like Katrina and Irene? What they need to call them are Hurricane Thor, Zeus, Shakalakachakaboomboom and HELGA!



So here's the sitch (spoiler alert: that's short for "situation" for anyone born in or before the '70s): We heard about the hurricane, but everyone brushed it off, ESPECIALLY me, because you may or may not remember the talk of a hurricane this same time last year which prompted me to panic-buy rainboots and THERE WASN'T EVEN A CLOUD IN THE SKY that weekend! Not my proudest moment. So NOW that it hasn't calmed down, people are talking about it, and people are taking it seriously, buuuuut... everyone's kinda weirded out by it. Like "The city's saying I should stockpile water? Oooookay crazies..." so they're doing it, but everyone is all confused.

Right now it is blue skies and sunshines. So weird to think that this huge storm is swirling along the seaboard to us! I can assure you all that my roommate and I are taking it seriously, and we have split up buying water, non-perishable foods, flashlights, etc. And I already have plenty of candles (tealights from Ronnie's mom, but they're there nonetheless) and we will simply close up shop and stay put. There's not much else we can do. I've never been through a hurricane before so this is quite intriguing and very new. They say it will just be a bad storm by the time it hits New York City... high winds and rain. I have no idea what to do about the windows (thank God I rent!) but what can you do?

The subway system will supposedly shut down tomorrow afternoon, soooo good thing I have a lot of books? We'll see if I will be able to make it to Brooklyn or ballet, but I have a feeling that Alex and I will just be holed up in our candle-lit apartment with water bottles and canned food... without a can opener.

* * *

3:37pm UPDATE: Still no word on that can opener. However, work just had a meeting to discuss our post-hurricane plans (?) and NYC ordered a mandatory evacuation of Zone A. I am nowhere near an evacuation zone (suddenly these hills of upper Manhattan aren't looking so bad anymore are they?) but geeeeez, is the hurricane really going to pass right over us? Can't wait to tell my grandchildren about the hurricane of '11

* * *

4:48pm UPDATE: Took my lunch break to buy some non-perishable food items, and a flashlight. The flashlights are all sold out. Looks like Alex and I will go Amish and use my tea candles (did the Amish have hurricanes?) unless I can manage to loot a flashlight between when I get off work and when the power lines go down. (In that case, isn't it easier to loot?) I seriously don't know what I was doing in that damn grocery store. I'm not even that worried! I just went grocery shopping recently, and how long could the power possibly be out for? Am I being naive?) My basket probably looked the same as one belonging to a frat boy on his first independent trip to the grocery store on his own dime once he moves to college... minus the Viennese sausage. It's an eerie feeling right now, seeing everyone rush around and knowing the hurricane is on everyone's mind. The still, warm air with sunshine, with a historic storm moving inevitably toward us. I'm sorry, but I've never been in a hurricane or anything before, and I'm quite excited! Ronnie says we should go to the evacuation center and make friends. I think I will route the closest one to me now!

* * *

10:34pm UPDATE: Alex and I happened to get home at the same time, each overloaded with groceries bags of our water and non-perishable foods... and neither with a flashlight. Everywhere is truly sold out! We dumped our stuff off, exchanged stories from the day, and decided to have a "Last Supper" at Dinosaur BBQ, nom nom nom. Walking outside, it was warm and still. There is a pervading energy and tension in the city. Everyone seemed like they were almost celebrating their last night of freedom. Growing up in California with the sudden and unexpected earthquakes, the idea of being able to prepare for impending doom is so bizarre! We're just enjoying the city around us until it is beat and watered to shreds in less than 24 hours. It was all everyone was talking about and feeling and thinking. It's weird. Afterwards we went across the street to Fairway. I caved and bought some chocolate-covered vanilla meringues (I resisted sweets from the first time, but couldn't the second!) and babywipes... in case we can't shower, at least we can clean. We then wandered down to West 110th trying to desperately to get a flashlight, but everywhere was sold out. The streets were alive and ablaze with everyone going from store to store, loading up on food and goods and supplies, I've never seen such crowded stores and long lines EVERYWHERE. They all had quickly last-minute hand-crafted signs explaining their hurricane closures for tomorrow and Sunday, and possibly Monday. We stopped in all the stores we could, all of which were starting to get a last delivery, and we were actually going through all the new boxes, opening them up and digging through for flashlights... to no avail. We finally gave up and we bought three of those tall Mexican saint candles from the store, with carefully picked out saints (I chose Santa Barbara, big surprise, eh? and we jointly chose Santo Nino Jesus!) and came home for a last normal night! I should have got a puzzle for Alex and I to laugh over joyously as we compile it by candlelight while our windows blow out and the rain pours in. Welcome to my first hurricane.

No comments:

Post a Comment