Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Invisible World Series of 2010

First of all, I am VERY VERY HAPPY AND PROUD OF THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS FOR BEATING THE TEXAS RANGERS IN A 4-1 GAME WIN FOR THE 2010 WORLD SERIES TITLE!!





Secondly, I am very very sad and disappointed in the city of New York for not giving a damn one way or the other about the World Series just because their precious little Yankees were not in contention!

I seemed to be the ONLY person who cared about the games. I printed out a schedule on a Giants watermark and kept it at my desk and would highlight their winnings. I had to be the one to bring up results or games to the guys in the office too, and even then they were pretty blase about it. NO bars or pubs advertised having the games on, and this morning, NOT A SINGLE ARTICLE (or even a blurb!) about them in any of the morning metro papers! What a pretentious town this is!! When I came in this morning, people were ASKING "So did the Giants win?" REALLY?! No one even cared to see the results of the World Series? It's one thing to be loyal to a team, but to disregard the whole sport for lack of a team just seems childish!

Now before everyone freaks out (Sri says I can't even spell "Giants") I have ALWAYS said that my favorite baseball team was the Giants when asked (basketball: Lakers). Not because I really followed it or knew the lineup, but just because that's who my dad always liked and what did I care? I'd just be loyal to his team. And you HAVE to have a team otherwise nothing's fun. I know it's such a girl answer, but it's the truth. Then, with all my diehard Bay Area roommates and friends in San Diego, they really helped jumpstart my love and loyalty to the San Francisco team (NOT teamS! I don't care for the 49ers!) and thanks to them I saw the Giants spring training game in Phoenix, watched them play in San Diego, and actually cared about the record and knew positions of Lincecum, Wilson, Ross and Uribe. So YES Pam is a bigger fan than I am, YES Sri knows more than I do, but I always supported the Giants (and YES I can spell it SRIIIIIII!!)



Now if only New York City gave a damn about the World Series AT ALL...

1 comment: