Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School

This was not quite me this morning.



BUT. I did start classes today and, appropriately following a three-day weekend, couldn't sleep at all last night and so woke up exhausted, to a very wet and rainy New York City. The highlight of the Supersonic Quiet Weekend was not only ballet on Sunday, but the bar-hopping and drinks afterwards with my ballet friends! We went to a small bar off Union Square just early enough to beat the nighttime crowds and made great friends with the bartender and other strangly members who let us control the music selection, and the bartender refilled my Bloody Maria (more of a spicy kick, he says) more times than he charged me for. I had a really good time getting to know the 2 other girls from my ballet class. It was nice to finally meet up outside the studio, and we were all surprised to see each others' hair down, since we only ever see each other with it pulled up and back in ponytails and buns for the class.

The silver medal of the weekend events goes to Artopolis, an over-achieving pastry shop where I enjoyed brunch and had some pretty decent coffee and a banana waffle with (get it) BANANAS, NUTELLA AND ICE CREAM. With every bite I took I felt like I finally understood what Sinead O'Connor meant all those years ago... Nothing compares... noTHING compares... TO YOUUUUUU.

So, back to school for me, after a THREE YEAR hiatus. I have my ASL Education class tonight, but today at lunch break I had my jazz dance class. Jazz dance. Gone are the days in middle school where jazz dance meant fast-paced lyrical performances to Billboard's Top 100. I went into the dance studio at Barnard Hall half expecting to just get a syllabus and told to get lost until Thursday, but people were already stretching, and in walks the instructor who tells us we'll get the syllabus later and today we'll "shut up and dance". On top of that we had live music accompaniment... on BONGO DRUMS. Needless the say, the rhythm and movement is far from what I have been practicing in ballet, but I really like it! Plus, I REALLY love having this exercise in the middle of the day, it feels so nice and healthy, and great to move while I still have energy (not at the end of a working day).

It was kinda sad to look outside at the umbrellas and rainboots and pouring rain of the outside world, but it was fun to be in a class! And by the way, it made me INCREDIBLY nostalgic for my own university days. I wished after the class I would just go back to my dorm to nap or hang around and see who was down to go to lunch at the dining commons or play MadLibs in the lounge. Freshman year was by far the most kickass year of college! Sigh.



My first real class is tonight. I enjoy being a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment