Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tribute in Light

It has been a decade since I woke up earlier than usual, a sophomore in high school in California and found the TV on, watched a plane collide with the second tower and confusedly tried to figure out if this was some movie, or real life.



Being in New York City for the tenth year anniversary, I almost feel unable to celebrate it, or less worthy to do so, because I wasn't here when it happened, nor did I know anyone personally who was killed in the attacks. Still, only about 2% of the people I've met here were living in New York when it happened (and their stories are incredible by the way) but I have experiences of it, and I ache too. I spent some time on Wikipedia reading about the September 11 Flights, and it was horrific, and moving. There is the Tribute in Light to begin tonight, two beams of lights to represent the towers, and that will fade on the morning of September 12.

What is frustrating is the destruction and murder carried out in the name of what is supposed to be a loving God. I remember though, in my religions class when someone asked Professor Juergensmeyer how someone could kill and justify in the name of religion. His response was: "Well, religion is indeed the only thing that could justify killing." But if this supernatural being that we all seem to worship is one of Love, how does all the killing come out? I know, it's a never-ending cycle of question, and it doesn't have an answer. (And all religions deal with it: Check out the Mormons side via Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer)

I went to ballet and a bar around Union Square today. Many people were toting American flags or Remembrance shirts, and it was touching, and moving. After reading up on the events and innocent people that morning, I almost felt like crying. I didn't make it down to Ground Zero, but in the meantime there's a great website for the memorial.

http://names.911memorial.org/#lang=en_US&page=person&id=4383

You can read the names and their birthdates, see their pictures... it's unbelievable really. Those who suffered in the last minutes of the pre-9/11 world that would never come again, and whose deaths, and events surrounding their deaths, now defines my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment