Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Page

I would like to start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised yesterday by learning that I won the March Madness bracket between me and my friends back in San Diego!! They consider it all blood money though, since the clincher was the fact that I correctly guessed UConn to win over SDSU and I am a vile traitor to their SDSU hearts. To be fair, in my work bracket I took SDSU even further, and I was just mixing it up and optimizing my chances! Looks like it worked, eh guys?



Gaucho F'in Locos, right on top like I like to see!!

In other news, yesterday I went to the Barnes & Noble in Greenwich Village to finally cash in on the $50 gift card I got over the holidays from my boss. (I just love the Village, I think it's my favorite neighborhood in NYC.) Originally I was thinking about buying Waiting for Superman, that book about the educational crisis in the US, but I have never gotten over my love of classics and literature.

I've read a lot of these modern day pieces that are highly praised like Life of Pi, but I would still prefer to read Jane Eyre or Anna Karenina a dozen times before trying to pick up a contemporary novel, although I just enjoy reading enough that I will get to them eventually. So as a bit of a compromise, I picked up the long-recommended to me by Pam Shantaram, and Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. The first time I ever picked up such a meaty book was when I undertook a Tolstoy in the summer of 2007 when I had just returned from France and had really nothing to do. Having such a thick volume in your hands is so satifying, and working through and turning each page is it's own little reward. So can you tell it's been awhile since I've bought a new book?





So happy to have the start of my subway / summer reading secured. Shantaram sits expectantly in my purse as I type this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment