Monday, April 11, 2011

Bear Legs

It's getting warmer and spring is springing! Never have I been so keen and appreciative to the signs of spring as I have been lately... more sunshine, warmer air, I notice the chipper chirp of birds in the mornings, and though most of the trees are still bare, daffodils are coming up in planters, and grass is slowly growing.

On Saturday I took a walk to Riverside Park on the west side. I think I like this park better than Central Park. It's linear, so no confusing winding roads or meadows to be trapped in, and no carriage lanes or horses to watch out for. Not to mention, it overlooks the Hudson River, so it has beautiful scenery to admire past the stone walls and park benches. And because the slightest signs of spring were making themselves known this Saturday, the park was abuzz with people sunbathing, reading, jogging, walking dogs, kicking soccer balls and playing catch, or just strolling around. It was so relaxing! I took the below picture near the entrance to the park. You can't tell that the entire scenery around was simply bare-boned trees, but they were, and this was the one blooming lifeform around, and in beautifully technicolor tones



And, everyone grew up playing softball or Little League, right? I saw a game going on and remembered my own games back home in Don Lugo (?) park, a simple dip of fields in the middle of a concrete jungle in desert-y Riverside, and what a different experience these kids had on Manhattan on the edge of the Hudson



Lastly, today it is rumored to get up to 75 degrees!! That will feel like a sauna after all this persisting winter weather. It is the first time I have stepped out with bare legs... a dress with no tights or nylons, and coupled with my lightest overcoat (the only thing that matched!) it looked a little off-kilter to have this long jacket with naked legs, but I am going to hold out hope for this warm weather even if it ends up giving me frostbite instead.

However, yes, I understand homophones and I didn't misprint the title. It wasn't until I got on the subway and sat down and realized it had been a few days since shaving my legs. Never did I need to really care either, considering they have been covered up consistently since October! That's when I realized I had both bare and bear legs. Whatevs! If men can have a five o'clock shadow, so can I. Lulz. Shake it off.

1 comment:

  1. hhahha, funny!

    And if its the park that is on Calif and Jackson, down in the hole, it's Don Lorenzi. :)

    ReplyDelete