Friday, April 15, 2011

Bridge to Williamsburg

I never understood the "hipster" life or or scene until coming to New York. Maybe it was a West Coast thing, but that whole movement came out under the title "emo" and evolved to "scene kids" but out here it's "hipsters". Kathleen even introduced me to the MC Lars song that we used to sing and sing and sing...

She came from Omaha to Williamsburg
She loved Karen O and she had heard
That Brooklyn was the hipster mecca
Packed her bags with her friend Rebecca
Said she had a thing for broke dudes in bands
Who lived by Union or by Grand
So we went down to the Bedford Bar
And bought a six dollar PBR...
I love my L-Train girl it's true, she always goes down on the weekends too


Well I now actually understand this song and live it here. Yesterday was a beautifully clear and warm day. After work Jayna had an appointment on 7th and I went to get a French manicure down on 23rd so we went our separate ways. When i was done I called to see if she was still around Chelsea, and so we met up again and just walked and walked and walked together.

Since we had already explored the Chelsea piers on the West Side not too long ago, we decided to go to the East Side of the island, so we walked along the East River all the way from upper midtown down to the Williamsburg Bridge, and decided to cross it and get dinner where we "landed" down in Williamsburg on Bedford. I actually liked this bridge (for walking) much more than the Brooklyn Bridge. Cars are a level below, and pedestrians and bikers even have their own paths on separated sides. It was dusk and the sun set as we were crossing. It was nice!



My favorite part was that, as soon as we hit the streets, we made a left, and came face to face with Harry Potter-glasses-and-striped-shirt-wearing hipster kids. First things. What a stereotype! We found a really rustic and cute little restaurant called Rabbit Hole where I got a beat/avocado/goat cheese sandwich with spinach salad. It was deeeelish! Walking through to catch the L train home (it's already 9:30pm by this time), the rowdy-youth streets of bars and restaurants reminded me of IV and college, and I kinda missed that for a hot second. However, if I saw one more person wearing a navy blue-and-white horizontally striped shirt I was going to go crazy. It's just ironic that those who make the statement not to conform, in fact conform to each other. Ohhh the irony of life.

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment