Thursday, October 7, 2010

Coney Island Excursion

Last weekend Ronnie and I ventured out to Coney Island. I'm not sure why we went considering it's OCTOBER, and it was very cold, but neither of us had been before. It was a long subway ride out there making local stops all the way to the very edge of Brooklyn!

The place was very depressing to me. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was the deserted streets and closed shops, maybe it's just because I'm so spoiled by Disneyland, but it does look like it used to be poppin' once upon a time



Dont be fooled by this picture either, Ronnie knew I was taking it!



We got Nathan's hot dogs (unbelievable, I mean, really unlike any other hot dog I've ever had... EVEN Gray's Papaya!), ice cream, and went into the Luna Park amusement park, which reminded me of a sad carnival set up in a Kmart parking lot. Still, it looked nice from the boardwalk



The place was deserted, but Ronnie insisted we ride at least one ride, and I finally gave in



After that we went out to the beach across the boardwalk



After we got too cold we left and went to Brooklyn's Red Hook neighborhood, for no real reason, and just wandered around. I LOVED this part of town!! Lots of boutiques and shops, lots of pleasant areas and Starbucks, and it reminded me a lot of Potsdam, DC or Boston with the clean streets and brick churches. When we were done there, we decided to walk the Brooklyn Bridge back instead of our usual subway. At twilight it was just gorgeous!! The skyline was amazing and the bridge is great, and it was a very nice outing.







After THAT we found ourselves in the Financial District and wandered into a diner for dinner. I was already exhausted but when Ronnie wanted to go across the street to the Barnes & Noble / Bed, Bath & Beyond, I refused but again Ronnie whittled me down (don't think this is a habit!) and would you know it? Alicia Keys and Swizz Beats were there loading up on furniture and other things for their home!!

Everyday I love living in New York City more and more

2 comments: