Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Long Island & Big City Volleyball

Today I had to go out to Long Island to visit a host family. It's part of my job duties to visit our active families, but I had really been slacking. One of the host mothers kept telling me to come out and she would make lunch for me and everything, so i finally acquiesced and today was the day.

I took the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station out to Baldwin, about 45 minutes out, and the host picked me up from the station. She was so sweet, and the house was so beautiful, and I was really just absolutely enchanted by Long Island. It is very residential, but so lovely! The houses were brick and white clapboard, they had porches, beautiful lawns and trees which were starting to change color, and the community was gorgeous, with train stations and shops and boutiques, everything seemed to be within walking distance and there was even a pumpkin patch. I was SO IN LOVE with the whole area.

And the best part about the outing was the LUNCH. I felt so regal. First of all she served me a glass of champagne, and showed me the home. Then we sat down to the table set with chinaware. We had matzoh ball soup as an appetizer, and then breaded chicken, salad, white asparagus and iced tea, with fruit for dessert. It was the best meal I had had in a LONG time! I loved being out with the trees and the space, yet getting back in the city I felt right back at home, and suddenly saw Long Island as lonesome and slow in comparison.

Tonight was the first night of my new volleyball league and it was fabulous!! Sometimes sports is helpful for stress, other times I just get more frustrated than ever!! Still, meeting my team for the first time was nice, we played great and seems like we have a lot of potential, and it was fun! I forget how good exercise makes you feel, not even just physically, but mentally too. I'm excited for the season!

1 comment: