Tuesday, February 1, 2011

THE COLBERT REPORT ♥

Yesterday was the culmination of my years in love with Stephen Colbert, all thanks to Pam who got me into The Colbert Report when I moved to San Diego, and I spent the first few months of unemployment looking for jobs whilst watching the show. I LOVE STEPHEN COLBERT. He is the best! And ever since I started watching him, really all those other hosts: Conan, Jay Leno, etc, no one seems as funny anymore. Stephen takes the cake by far.

So I tried to get standby to see his show before in the summer, but didn't make it in. Kathleen and I decided to try yesterday, so we may have overcompensated and got there a few hours before anyone gets checked in, and we're not even sure if they're filming and soon we are so cold from just standing it was unbearable. Even some of the workers said to us "you know they don't check people in until 4, right?"


Notice how NO ONE is around??

When they finally took names for the standby, we were numbers 1 and 2, and then we ran away for an hour and a half to get warm in a Starbucks and Chipotle, respectively and made it back to see if we got in. I was excited enough that we got called to go in, but there was way more in store for us...





We enter into the holding tank and go through security. As I'm putting my jacket back on, and Kathleen is going through herself, one of the workers pulled me in and said "Hold onto this, they'll call white tickets first and then you get to the front of the line."



Why he gave this to me, I have no idea, but we guarded it with our lives. When they opened the studio and announced white tickets first, I felt like we had Golden Tickets from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory as I had to hold it up and fight through the back of the crowd to the front. So, we got to sit FRONT ROW. Absolutely a dream come true.

They had some guy come out and do some warm up, just mess around with the crowd and get us all in a good mood. He kept pointing to me and Kathleen and saying that he liked our energy. He started talking to me and asked what I did. I said I worked. He asked if I liked my job. I said no. He asked what I wanted to do. I said be Stephen's wife. Everyone started laughing and he told me security was talking about me now and had an extra eye on me already. Oops! He kept pointing me out.

When Stephen ran out I almost fainted, I COULDN'T BELIEVE I was seeing him in front of me, there he was! He ran along the front row and even gave us all high five's. I probably could have just left then on cloud nine.

They gave us a lecture about laughing loudly because "they couldn't hear smiles" and we had to have energy for Stephen to feed off of, and I was so concentrated on that, and also just so out of my head watching Stephen Colbert film in front of me that I really don't remember much from what he was saying or filming. Being front row we got quite a few expressions and eye contact out of him, especially during the commercial breaks.

At the end of the show he came and shook the hands of everyone in the front row. I got so worried that he would pass over me I screamed "Stephen!" and he grabbed my hand and looked me in the eye and said "thank you for coming". It was the defining moment of my life! We had to slowly file out but I was beyond myself.


This was on the wall of the holding tank lobby.

I feel like a little middle schooler with Bieber Fever but I can't help it! I'll never forget that moment when I learned that The Colbert Report was filmed in New York and thinking I'd never be able to see it, so this was a dream a long time coming! And front row and all? Indescribable. Heart bubbles coming out of my head all night long, and even today they're still floating out!

http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=372818
This is the link to the episode. You can see us for a good 2 seconds at the beginning when they scan the crowd. I have a pink shirt showing from under a gray top.

Oh, and then I was on such a high that Kathleen and I went to the East Village and I got my nose pierced. No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment