Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stretching My Dollaz

I have always been an incredibly stingy saver of money. I used to live off of $80 a month after rent when I first moved to San Diego. (How did I do that?!) I always felt like I would need money for the "next step", even if I couldn't see it or know what was around the bend, but I was always terrified of being given an opportunity of something that I wouldn't be able to pay for. Now I make much, much more than that, but in New York City, saving anything is close to impossible, and even the necessities necessitate almost all I make. So while I can only scrimp saving meager amounts from the bottom of the barrel, I've definitely seen that God continues to provide for me always. I pay my rent, I buy groceries, I get to go out with friends, I have a work and play clothes, I furnished my place and have some nice things and I don't know... it's just nice to be content with the simple life. For once i've decided I'm not going to be furiously stingy but instead relax and play in this stage of life, because I love New York City and the life I'm building here.

In light of this, I went out last night with Jayna to go to our coworkers' band's show in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and hung out afterwards. Tonight I'm having family dinner with Ronnie, Betsy and Casey, and though I was saving the rest of my bank account for my electricity bill, I found out it wasn't due until after my next paycheck, so I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure from the nail salon downstairs. It's a beautiful, clear day and it's warming up. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment